Author Topic: Osage Question  (Read 4480 times)

Offline wvarcher

Osage Question
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:53:51 am »
  I've heard Osage is not the best wood to make a 68" plus English long bow because it is to heavy and this would cause excessive hand-hock.  Can Osage be used to make a 72-inch ELB, say 1" wide tapering to 1/2" tips.?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:13:51 pm by wvarcher »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage Question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 11:54:16 am »
I've made 2 osage ELBs; one was 68" the other 72".  What do you mean by the best wood. If you have osage and want to make an ELB with it, it is the best wood! 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bcbull

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:57:37 am »
ill take yew for  that design anyday befor osage !!!!   osage is  my nbr 2   wood for elb s  it works very well   but yew is just my personal choice  i  say use either of  em  you wont go wrong  but there are several other  that will work  very well also  brock

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:16:51 pm »
I thought Osage was just too heavy of a wood to avoid hand shock in certain types of longer bows. 

Offline shamus

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 12:58:58 pm »
I thought Osage was just too heavy of a wood to avoid hand shock in certain types of longer bows. 

Not at all.  Just make the tips narrow. and tiller it right. No problems.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 03:16:21 pm »
I agree... nothing wrong with osage as an ELB. Keep it narrow, to avoid your worries.

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 03:48:57 pm »
I guess with Osage it would be possible to make the handle area as narrow as an 1".  I'm thinking a narrower handled ELB bow would be easier to shoot than one made 1.25'' or 1.5" wide, just like narrower handled flatbows are easier for me to shoot.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 04:25:38 pm »
You are think in the wrong direction. Once you get the bow built, make arrows to shoot from it. The handle width doesn't matter at all as long as you are shooting the proper arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 04:34:18 pm »
Look back to page 21 in the Bows section and "Osage ELB" by Pat B   That will give you an idea of what you can build. That bow is 75" osage, 1 3/8" at the handle.     Pat

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 04:44:22 pm »
You are think in the wrong direction. Once you get the bow built, make arrows to shoot from it. The handle width doesn't matter at all as long as you are shooting the proper arrows.
Maybe that's the case with ELB, but i know i seem to shoot any flatbow i've made better if i narrow the area where the arrow passes around the handle.  Could be, i just need to pay more attention to arrow spine with a wider than 1" handle.  Be interesting to see if anybody feels as you do, that handle width is not as important as choosing the correct arrow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 04:48:20 pm »
I'd be willing to bet most do.

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 04:52:27 pm »
Wow. Pat, that is one sweeeet bow.  Exactly what i want to build accept maybe with a little less bend in the handle area.