Author Topic: Ash or hickory  (Read 4470 times)

Offline Postman

Ash or hickory
« on: February 01, 2009, 01:21:44 am »
Can't decide which to get.... . Can anyone weigh in on a preference for Ash or Hickory shafts and why? Tougher, easier to straighten, ect.. I'm shooting some Doug Fir arrows now - how do these 2 types compare to it? They'd be 11/32 untapered.
Thanks

"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline DanaM

Re: Ash or hickory
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:50:11 am »
About all I can say is they will most likely be heavier. I've made my own ash arrows and they were heavy beasts.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:20:14 am »
I've made both ash and hickory.  The Hick were definitely heavier, but the ash is plenty heavy. Both are heavier than fir. This is speaking in general terms, because you can get really heavy fir shafts as well.  I felt that the hickory was stronger and less prone to breaking.  However the hickory was much tougher to straighten and keep straight.  The ash was about as strong as a fir shaft and was easy to straighten and keep straight.  All things considered if it were me buying shafts I would go for the ash. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:57:53 am »
I've never used hickory shafts but have heard they are quite heavy and very strong but hard to keep straight. When I made ash arrows they came out about 100 grs heavier than POC and were quite strong but needed occasional straightening.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:14:14 am »
Hickory makes great bows, but is not so good for arrows... it's murder to get straight and keep straight. I like douglas fir, especially for hunting, because it's a bit heavier than pine or cedar for the same spine. Ash makes the best heavy arrows for shooting out of my warbow.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 04:46:33 pm »
I used hickory for a time. Excellent arrows, but I'm not using them again unles I go after after African game. As was said, they are very heavy, and also tough to keep straight. If you're hutning Kodiaks or moose, that's one thing, but ash seem alot easier to use and keep in condition.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:53:24 pm »
 i made some hickory arrows from a 30 inch plank that were decent- i had to get then from big squared edges to smooth, and that killed my spine, but my cousin used oak EXCLUSIVLEY for deer, he swears by them- and as it is known, ash is real similar to oak, so maybe thats the better way to go. P.S. if you ever do blowgun hunting, oak work great for shafting- the best ive used at least. good luck, -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.