Author Topic: backing  (Read 2696 times)

Offline joesharp79

backing
« on: January 26, 2009, 05:24:07 pm »
hi there all I'm at the house working on my bow and want to back it but don't have any silk or rawhide or anything but i do have some light weight aluminum screen do u guys think it would work OK not at all OR maybe good open for all suggestions and opinions on it trying to find something that i got laying around the house that will work good

John B.

Re: backing
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:34:40 pm »
The last bow I backed got a strip of canvas dropcloth.  It's a little nubby and retro looking.

My dropcloth is three inches shorter now, but I think I'll live.  ;)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:43:56 pm »
sounds adventurous,or maybe crazy, to me, but you never know untill you try
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:16:43 pm »
Is your bow a stave or board?  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:48:44 pm »
Aluminum is not very springy (and not very strong)....so i don't think it will work.

If you have a Salvation Army Thrift store (or something similar) nearby, I'm sure you could pick up something made of polyester fabric (pillow case or something) for a couple bucks and cut it into strips and use that for a backing.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline joesharp79

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 07:27:50 pm »
my bow is a red oak board bow

and i have some fabric that is 100% polyester if it will work good i can use it but i thought the polyester would be to stretchy

thanks for all for Ur suggestions think i will not  use the aluminum screen still up for suggestions any more good backing ideas 4 a red oak board bow thank you
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:33:53 pm by joesharp79 »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:28:53 pm »
Burlap, linen, silk, etc will work fine even denim. Polyester should work too.  I don't know if the screen will work. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Shooter_G22

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 08:48:22 pm »
do you have any old neck ties lying around that you dont use or want or one that you will be willing to sacrifice...  i know alot of neckties are made from silk and that whould work very well...  if yougo to a thrift store might be ablw to find an old pair of leather pants in one of those racks and might be able to pick it up pretty cheap... and im sure you could probably use that...  i once thought of useing maybe a pair my girlfriends legwarmers they are lick pantyhose but thicker..???  but i was not sure if that would work and im sure she wouldnt not have liked it either >:(  soo i did not even try...  :D
i thnk maybe some burlap might even work and hey if nothing else maybe just an old bed sheet...  but not sure if these would work but im just throughing some ideas out there..

hope this helps keep us informed what you try out and let us know how it works, yeah?