Author Topic: Hawthorn  (Read 7081 times)

triton

Hawthorn
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:38:23 am »
Thought I'd post these pictures and see if any you folks can help or offer suggestions.  cattle had pushed a hawthorn tree down, so I snaffled the best piece hoping to get a bow.  It's the straightest Hawthorn I've seen for a long time as most is cut by flail for field hedges.  It's proving a challenge but I marked it out and roughed it out.

I was thinking of steaming it to straighten it out but then as I was nodding off last night, I thought this could make a mongol/scythian type self bow  :D there's also a dog leg in the handle and wondering if that could be worked into a centre shot.
am I wasting my time or has this got potential as a bow?
any help aprrectiated.
cheers

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Hawthorn
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:49:26 am »
Attempting to make a bow from any wood is never a waste of time,its an investment in learning. So give it a try!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:55:44 am »
I don't have any experience with hawthorne, but once you get it thinned down to floor tiller stage you ought to be able to do some straightening either by steam or dry heat...depending on how long you wait. If still on the green side, I'd use steam...if you wait until seasoned, dry heat. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

triton

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:06:19 pm »
Thanks fellas.  Auggie, I like your philosphy

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 03:25:14 pm »
If thats the straightest one you could find I'd hate to see a crooked one! LOL...good luck with that one , hawthorne is a awesome bow wood.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Too Short

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:51:50 pm »
Jim Rempp, who shares my bow making shop, and I are making a bunch of "Thornapple" bows.  This is a variety of Hawthorn, so I am told.  The Plains Indians in most cases had no Osage, so used Thornapple and Juniper.  Thornapple is amazing wood.  You can just about bend it double, it steams and bends flawlessly, and shoots like gang busters.  We have been sinew backing it and putting horn bellies on it.  I rate it as one of the best bows you could make.  We have tons of the stuff here in western Montana and finding straight staves is relatively easy.  Go for it!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:38:53 pm »
Hey Too F. Welcome to PA!  Got any pics of your hawthorn bows?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:41:14 pm »
Too short....Is that you Paul?

Shadow Walker

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 08:03:26 pm »
Judging from the photos, it looks like that stave has a natural shape for a good recurve. with a little steam bending here and there, You could really use that to your advantage. I'de like to find one with that type of natural bend to it!

triton

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 04:18:49 am »
Now I have a steamer set up I'll be revisiting this stave soon.  I particularly wanted to use Hawthorn due to the good reports I've had about it making a great self bow.  I just need to test a few pieces to see which profile works best.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 06:06:01 am »
Wow, Too short here at PA ? Allright !!!!....Timo, has to be Paul B.   ......how about some pictures of those bows ?..... should be sweet
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Too Short

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 08:59:57 pm »
Cowabunga!  You dudes caught me.  Yep, it is Paul Brunner, world's shortest bowhunter!

someone tell me how to post photos and I'll knock your sox off with some.  Jim cut a nice, straight piece of Thornapple three weeks ago.  He stripped the bark and cut it about 3/8 thick and stuck it in a neat form.  Today we took it out and you would not believe the piece of wood he has.  Baleen on the belly tomorrow and then sinew backing.  I have some neat photos of it.  I built my form this afternoon and will have a fresh stave sitting in it tomorrow.  I am sold on both thornapple and ocean spray for Plains Indian bows.

Hasta la Pasta!

Offline Timo

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 08:16:28 am »
Paul get ya a photo bucket account,download them from there.Just copy the tags to your post.

You ever put them grass carp skins on a bow?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 08:38:28 am »
Paul, when you click reply, just below the message box that you type in, it says "additional options".....click on it.  Then click on browse and pick the picture you want to post from your computer and click on it. To post more than one picture in a message click on "more attachments" and repeat the process. You can post up to 6 pictures in each post. I'm working on a Hawthorne self bow right now and I was able to take a Pope and Young buck this passed season with another one. It is excellent bow wood. Especially if you put some heat to it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 08:50:26 am »
Ryan, so you don't have to copy them from an online host?Just copy straight from a folder?

I din't know that .......Man I gotta lot to learn. ???

Well I'll be.

[attachment deleted by admin]