Author Topic: here's my handle  (Read 2769 times)

troutbum76

here's my handle
« on: January 26, 2009, 01:49:35 am »
here is the handle for the bow i have been working on this evening. still needs a little work but so far i am very happy with it. it is layers of poplar, aspen, and red oak.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: here's my handle
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 10:49:26 am »
You have a pretty abrupt transition from you limb to your handle, it may pop off you have any bending of the limb in this area.

The shape of your handle is definitely different. How does it feel in your hand opposed to a conventional handle?

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 01:52:37 pm »
It actually looks like you dug into the limb a little on the left side...you might want to work that out before you pull her back or you could hinge it badly there...if not break outright

troutbum76

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 02:34:28 pm »
the handle fells very good in the hand and i have not done any work on the limbs yet so i will fix the spot you are talking about. i shaped the handle first this time b/c last time i did the same thing at the transition and in fixing it cause the limb to bend too much in the handle. based on info i got here i thought the limbs are supposed to bend very little in the area where the riser and the limbs meet. just wanted to try something a little different. guess we will have to see.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 05:51:41 pm »
I would make the fade -outs curve more gently into the handle if I where you!, but I like the innovative mood!.  Good luck finnishing it
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 07:10:47 pm »
Kinda reminds me of the desert...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline shamus

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:52:49 pm »
that is a rather unusual handle shape. How did you come up with it?