Author Topic: Siberian Elm Bow  (Read 3464 times)

Hat Creek

Siberian Elm Bow
« on: January 25, 2009, 07:20:02 am »
I have an old siberian elm which I trimmed down last spring and saved some wood for a bow.  When I split the logs there is not much heartwood in relation to the sapwood.  Once I took the stave down to a single ring I was literally left with heartwood in the handle only.  Is this common on elm or will I be making toothpicks once I start tillering it?  I am to that stage now.

Offline DanaM

Re: Siberian Elm Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:23:38 am »
Not sure why you chased a ring? With elm just peel the bark and thats the back.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:27:35 am »
I have made several from Elm....and mostly Siberian....peel and start making shavings....and yes there is very little Red Wood....mostly creamy white Wood
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Hat Creek

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:46:24 am »
Not sure why you chased a ring? With elm just peel the bark and thats the back.

I didn't have a piece of good wood long enough so I took two billets and spliced them at the handle.  I only used a draw knife on the top to get a common ring between the two pieces. 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 09:40:15 am »
The only reason to chase a ring on white wood is if the back is damaged in some way even if splicing billets.
When you peel the bark you have a common ring, for splicing you need to flatten the belly so you can make accurate sawcuts.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Hat Creek

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:37:07 pm »
Thanks for the help El Destructo and DanaM.  I have made a successful hickory bow from a board purchased from a saw mill.  This is my first attempt at making a bow from a log and appreciate your sound advice.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:55:24 pm »
   You might like working with that elm, I am always puzzled why it isn't more popular than what it is. real high on my list as bow woods go. One thing I like about elm is you don't have to be as fussy about following the readial grain as you do on osage, I normally just saw the sides on mine out straight. I try to avoid ring violations but have gambled on crummmy staves before just flattening out the backs smooth violations and all and they seem to hold pretty well. Steve