Author Topic: Female vs. Male Cane?  (Read 5046 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Female vs. Male Cane?
« on: January 24, 2009, 10:14:08 pm »
I think I read somewhere that there is a difference between female and male Japanese Arrow Boo plants.  I think I read that the female plant has branches and the male dosn't.  Also the female plant makes better arrows.    Is this true or did I dream it up.  I am not sure where I read this but I can't find it again.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Female vs. Male Cane?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:42:19 pm »
I have read that also but have never been able to determine the difference between the two. At least not with the cane that grows here. Plants are not as obvious as animals. ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 05:43:00 am »
I have read that also but have never been able to determine the difference between the two. At least not with the cane that grows here. Plants are not as obvious as animals. ;D
Pat- Not only are plants tough to determine, but it's getting hard to figure some of the people out as well. :o
Traverse City, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:18:29 am »
Pat- Not only are plants tough to determine, but it's getting hard to figure some of the people out as well. :o

:D :D ;D ;D :o ;D :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 11:29:08 am »
Rick, I agree with you but I'm not trying to make arrows with people. I appreciate the differences there. ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 06:06:03 am »
Arrows with people ;D ;D ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:17:31 am »
If Hillbilly doesn't know the answer off the top of his head, he'll get it for you. ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:54:53 pm »
Tracy, I'm good but I ain't all that.;D ;D I've heard the same thing somewhere, but most everything I have read indicates that our native canes are monecious (male and female flowers on the same plant). I'm not sure about Japanese arrow bamboo, but it's a close relative of our river/switch cane. Bamboos are grasses, and most grasses aren't dioecious with seperate male and female plants. So basically, I'm not sure one way or the other.:D 
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:01:58 pm »
I think I will go to my Japanese Arrow boo stand and see which plants seem moody.  Those are probably the female plants.   ;)........JUST KIDDING to any of our female members.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:09:45 pm »
;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 01:59:56 pm »
Well if they are very hard to work with and seem to have a mind of their own they are female..LOL..cane being it male or female have no difference in shaft ability...the ones with shucks are called female..which is wrong...the ones with shucks are immature cane both male and female..try to find cane without the shucks..they make a better shaft...dry harder get a heavier spine with a smaller diameter..thats all there is to it...gut