Author Topic: chase ring ?  (Read 5940 times)

Offline knap_123

chase ring ?
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:44:24 pm »
i'm trying to chase a ring for my firstr time and its  as hard as i imagined. any advice? its locust

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: chase ring ?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:27:19 pm »
This is part of the initiation to be a bowyer. You must succeed to go farther. >:D ;) ;D
  Work just a small area at a time. About 6" or so and work back to yourself then up 6" more and work back. It is a slow process, especially for someone that is not familiar with the tools and the process. Take your time. If you start feeling frustrated walk away and come back later. Take the time to get to know the stave. You two will be spending lots of time together so you might as well get along.  ;D
OH, did I mention take your time.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline shamus

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 08:46:29 pm »
This might help (post on my website on chasing rings):  http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/05/chasing-growth-rings.html

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:06:12 pm »
Amen PatB on the take your time part ;D. Take that to heart John. I haven't worked any locust yet but have lots of osage experience. By the way, are you still game to try a peice?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 10:10:14 pm »
The first ring chase I did was on blk locust. Mine (they are all different), I had gone through several and was confused. Some one showed me where the rings or at this point layers were, I think I was chasing three different ones at once! The thing that stays with me was when you hit the spongy part, and are chasing one ring it sounds like tearing a piece of paper. The sound helped me more than any visual, I finished the stave in the dark by sound and feel only. It came out better than I expected.

I was recently trying to chase a ring on a piece of persimmon, but the rings were so tight (paper thin) that I could not do it. Pat gave good advice! Follow it.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 10:19:40 pm »
knap,  good natural light will help tons.  and listen well.  when you hit that pithy layer it will sound like a zipper.  I start with a section close to end where i can see the ring i am going for then work towards the other end.  take it slow and like pat b said study the stave and get to know it.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »
sorry didn't realize it was locust.  still natural light will help tons.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 11:26:56 pm »
thanks guys, and cowboy, i got some osage but will try a piece of sage or more osage.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 07:02:25 pm »
It seems daunting the first time or two you try it, but after you get the feel and hang of it, it's no big deal. Like Trey, I go more by feel and sound than anything, but the latewood and early wood on locust are usually visually distinctive, also. After you do a few you'll be chasing a stave in forty-five minutes or less if it doesn't have a lot of knots or wired spots.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 07:26:11 pm »
saw it stated once but let me say it again.

when chasing rings light is key if you are doing it by eye rather than feel. and you will do it by eye until you have done a few.

Natural light is best but if you have to work at night like I do use the biggest brightest light you can find. get out the halogen if you have one. and try different angles. seems to me that having the stave between me and the light is best with the light angled down at the stave maybe a 45 degree or so.

luck
n2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline knap_123

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 09:32:25 pm »
ell after 4 hrs i done it today!  i have one ring above the one i want.  i had a few pin nots but  left the layers around them untouched.  i have to research those.  the ends of my stave are deflexed,  how do i correct this? i'll have to post pics.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 09:26:47 am »
Chasing rings is an art. I also learned on BL. The rings are large usually because it is  fast growing tree around here. I try to choose a ring that leaves me with another couple in case I cut through. I go up the right edge about a foot, down the middle, and down the left and continue up the right again. And 1 and 2 and 3. LOL. Like your learning how to dance. I could chase a BL ring with a draw knife bit as I headed towards osage I needed to use a Swedish push knife and cooper's tools. The are scraper like tools and some are  rounded which allows me to follow the dips in rings. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 09:33:58 am »
Lots of patience and good lighting. Also the ability to make mistakes and learn from them. I think BL is a good one to start on. Good luck, lots of good advice .

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 09:58:19 am »
I didn't mention why I begin on the edge. I figure  if I make a mistake on an edge it won't matter becasue the mistake will disappear when I lay out the bow. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 10:02:39 am »
Set Happens!