Author Topic: new guy  (Read 4300 times)

Offline joesharp79

new guy
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:01:45 pm »
          hello to u all my name is Joe  i live in saint Marys west Virginia just started building bows and I'm allready addicted I'm working on my first 1 it is a red oak board bow with a walnut and maple handell and i was just sitting here thinking i have allot of wild cherry on my farm and thought it mite make a real nice looking bow was wondering if u guys thought it would be a good or bad wood to build a bow out of i was thinking i might be OK as long as i back

open for all suggestions thank u very much

PS i love primitive archer it has assisted me allot in my first bow not finished yet waiting for my uncle to find his split boar hide going to us it for a backing do u think it would work good for backing its paper thin  thank u all

Offline knap_123

Re: new guy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:07:23 pm »
i,m new but have made a  primitive bow out of w.c. and heard good things about it, its a light wood and elasticky. i to wouald like to hear more also from the more experienced

Shooter_G22

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:32:37 pm »
welcome aboard joe,

glad to have you here...   and its the right place to be...  ;)  im new also but have learned sooo much in the short time i have found this place... and feel blessed that this site is available...

wild chery   i would guess that it is good enough to work...   im sure some people here have made bows for a lesser wood...

as for the bow your working on now...pics???   must see pics...   really love to see pics of bows...  soo post em if you got em... ;)

again welcome and good luck...

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 12:04:56 am »
hey joe whata know   lol

welcome aboard,hang on tight it can be a wild ride.

like shooter said,we need pics of your bow  ;D

dont be shy,post pics and get advise from some of the best wood bowyers in the world.

as far as that wild cherry goes,if i was you i would just cut it all down and get rid of it.
you can get rid of it easy enough my sending some to everyone on here ;)

it should make nice bows.

good luck and enjoy your new drug addiction.

but hey if ya really wantto get rid of a piece of that wild cherry i would love to give it a try,think about and lets talk

peace,
                                                                          tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline joesharp79

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 12:12:26 am »
kinda new at this tryed to post pictures dont think it worked any advise on how to do that     thank u very much
                 lol and its is an adiction
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:17:53 am by joesharp79 »

Shooter_G22

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 12:25:51 am »
yea Joe,

if you look at the box where you are typing in the text when you reply to a thread....

on the bottom left hand corner there is an option that say's Additional Options...  you click that and then it opens up another option that say's attach:        this is where you attach the file address of the pic...   or you can just click browse and search throough your hard drive to find the pic file and double click it and then it will past it for you and then hit post...

Offline joesharp79

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 06:56:10 am »
I TRIED THAT WIN I DO THAT IT WALNT POST any thing at all not even the text

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 08:19:43 am »
Joe, you file size is probably to large I'm guessing. The way I reduce mine, is to open up the picture with "Paint",  go to Image at the top and select Stretch/Skew, then change the 100 to 25 at both locations...save the file before getting out of Paint and then try and pull it into your post like before.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline joesharp79

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 09:02:36 pm »
trying to post pic

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 09:06:36 pm »
there ya go joe,

that looks like itll make a nice ow,them gund look pretty nice too,but what the heck is on the wall below the guns ??? lol :D ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline joesharp79

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 09:20:02 pm »
ok i got it now thank u greg that dont the trick here is a few piks of my first bow in its current building stage i was also woundering if i could get some info in 1 pik i have circled a spot that i sanded in to it is a kinda like a void in the wood woundering if it is something i should worry about or not thought i might sand it down some more and get past it but dont knoe if i will be able to hit my target weight of 55# at 28" its a 72" bow and the limb right there is 1 1/2" wide and 11/16 thick any sugestions

Offline joesharp79

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 09:22:56 pm »
here is a couple more made them smaller could only get 1 at a time

Offline joesharp79

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 09:24:18 pm »
thank you the botom muzzel loader i redid
 myself its a traditons style
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:03:24 am by joesharp79 »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 11:52:51 pm »
Welcome, Joe. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Badbill

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 12:43:16 am »
SailorDad You know very well what those things are! Thats them new fangled city slicker exercise equipment. ;D