Author Topic: Spraying over Tru-oil  (Read 7071 times)

Offline Dean Marlow

Spraying over Tru-oil
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:19:06 am »
Got a question. I am finishing up an Osage bow and I used Tru-oil for the finish. Now I want to sign my name and was wondering if it is alright to use a spray Poly or Lacquer where my name will be to seal it. Dean

salad days

Re: Spraying over Tru-oil
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 10:36:08 am »
I signed my last bow on  top of a couple coats of true oil with a fine tip sharpie then true oiled a bunch more coats on top of that. No problems with streaking or sealing. That was back in June and the sharpie is a little faded now after shooting and hunting all year.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:45:42 am »
I almost always use Tru-Oil on my bows. I either wipe 4 or 5 coats of Tru-Oil over my lettering or if I want a dull finish I spray the bow and lettering with satin Spar Urethane. Spar urethane works well over Tru-Oil.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:06:15 am »
Writing over Tru-Oil will clog up a Sharpie pen, or at least when I have used them. What I do is add a quick spray of poly over the area to be written on. After that dries I write the specifics and signature and after that has dried I put another coat of Tru-Oil over that. If you spray directly over the Sharpie it will run.
   Now, I use India ink to sign bows and even though it isn't affected like a Sharpie, I still follow the same technique.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 12:27:33 pm »
I use wipe on poly or tung oil, then letter with a micro-point pen, and shoot the location with the same hard lacquer I use to touch up Martin Guitars.  Just a couple short bursts and I figure it will be there a while.  piper

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:08:27 pm »
Whatever you do just dont spray lacquer over tru oil. Unless you want a big mess. I learned the hard way. ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:49:22 pm »
jesse, thanks for the tip.....can't get Tru Oil around here anymore.   all the gun shops are closed down and walmart doesn't sell it any longer.   one brick at a time boys.....oops, that may have sounded political.   Start putting serial numbers on all your bows.

piper

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 08:29:55 am »
Thanks guys for the nice tips on signing my bows. One more question. Can I use the Tru-Oil over my snake skins. Dean

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:13:47 am »
yup ya sure can
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 09:24:19 am »
No problem and no problem w/ skins either. I reapply after Tru oil after the season is over to account for any wear and tear.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956