Author Topic: applying fabric backing  (Read 2415 times)

Offline sailordad

applying fabric backing
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:16:22 pm »
well i have never done this before.so i thought i would ask the experts right up front. ;D

i am going to the twin cities today.ther is this terrific fabric outlet store down ther.they have every thing from cloth to leather to furs.
so i am going to,hopefully,find some cool cloth to put on the back of some bows i am making.

now when i apply them do i put glue(tbIII) on the back of the bow and let it get tacky and soak the fabric.or do i just put glue on the back and place the fabric
and the wipe more glue on the fabric? ???

any help is always appreciated

peace,
                                                                                    tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline shamus

Re: applying fabric backing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:23:24 pm »
I put glue on the back, lay down the fabric, and smooth some glue on top of the backing. Then I bind down the tips to keep the fabric tight. Messy, but it works.

Offline JustAim

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 12:26:50 pm »
apply a heavy dose of glue on the back and apply the cloth. gently push down use your finger and run it from one end to the other. when lm using linen, l like to stretch it alittle bit and clamp both ends so there isn't any air pockets and air bubbles. but then again you could always wait for the experts. :D

Offline wakosama

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 02:27:55 pm »
I just did a couple.  Used shirt linen and TB III.  Spread glue on the wood, laid the cloth on top. Spread it down into the glue with my finger and used a cheap brush to spread more glue until it looked uniform and the weave of the cloth was filled.  Just folded the cloth back under the ends and taut in place with a piece of tape.  Look carefully for bubbles.  If you find one later you'll have to slit cloth open and work in some glue.  Very visible.  Might result in failure.

Oh.  as the glue dried the bow took a set towards the belly because the glue moisture in the back wood swelled it.  I rested the bow on it's tips between two supports, belly down, cloth backing up, with a little weight at the middle of the handle, and the set is beginning to disappear after 4 days.  Humid and cool weather here, now.  No hot box.

Wood is edge grain ash...

Be Well...
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:45:11 pm »
You can seal the back of the bow first and this will prevent moisture from entering the bow. Shellac works for this and dries quickly. You can also put a thin coat of TBIII over the back and let it dry first before gluing the backing down.
  Like with rawhide and snake skins, I like to moisten the material first because I think it helps the it accept the glue better(kind of like breaking the surface tension so the glue can be absorbed). Also I usually don't wrap the bow after the cloth has been applied unless it is stiff. It should lay down flat on its own. Another reason for moistening the cloth first. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC