Author Topic: Characteristics of your prefered bow?  (Read 8372 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: Characteristics of your prefered bow?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 06:56:17 pm »
It's great to see the wide variety! No wonder BOM is such a tough pick every month!

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 07:06:48 pm »
I go for speed and high tension at brace (so, low set :)), on my short D-bows.
Most of my bows are between 48-54".
I've been adding recurves to my bows lately. I love the look of a short recurve, especially with no handle. ;D
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 07:13:18 pm »
I like a bow that is dead in the hand and fast but dont we all. :) Also has to hit exactly where I want it to every time with any arrow. I'll let you know when I find it :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 07:50:01 pm »
 RyanO and I seem to like the same style bow except I like mine around 60#, close to center-shot and 28", but able to pull a little farther.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

330bull

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 01:21:50 am »
1. Short, something like 2x draw length + 4 to 6inches
2. No String Follow
3. Zero Handshock
4. Efficient Limbs in my opinion means the entire bow bends, and through the handle too.
5. Flat, Flat, Flat.
6. Cherry Bark.
7. 52-65#
8. Any kind of character in grain or bark is always a bonus.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 11:49:54 am »
My preferred bow seems to always be the one I just made  ;D
Gordon

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 05:08:43 pm »
46" nock to nock, 1-1/2" wide, sinew backed, 4" brace height, and 45lb @ 20"+.  I would like to get as much draw length as possible....without changing anything else.....and that's my focus when I build a bow these days.  I'm hoping to get a 26" draw with one of my short bows someday.  That would be sweet. ;D  I also like bows in the 70lb-80lb range but I'll have to go wider than 1-1/2" for that weight.  For now, I'll stick to 45lb.

I've gotten the best results with juniper in humid weather and with hickory in dry weather.  I've had mixed results with osage.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PeteC

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 10:12:25 pm »
Kegan ,I've been reading these replies,and trying to come up with one favorite.But I can't.I'll say this though.Even with all the variations of my bows,(that I regularly use),there are some common characteristics.I like a bow to hold a little reflex.Slightly flipped tips,as narrow as I can get away with,and light in the hand.It must have that" point-a-bility" factor.Smooth draw,with little or no hand shock,and good speed.And,since a great deal of my shooting is hunting,it must be silent.The bows I shoot the most are from 55'' to 68'' long,with a draw weight of 50# to 60#.Neat thread.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 10:19:40 pm »
Quiet as mouses whisper, shoots where I look and drag thru the rocks, bushes, swamps durability..............bob   

Offline Jesse

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 10:24:56 pm »
Jackcrafty. 46 ntn :o Your a brave man ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Little John

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 10:39:46 pm »
I like all bows but my favorite is the ancient Holmiigard style, wide flat limbs to mid limb going ifiel tower shape to ultra narrow barely bending outer limbs and tips 64 to 70 inches long in the 60Pound range @ 28" but safe to 30" This is a stable, fast, quiet, bow with no hand shock and comes close to a flight bow just depending on how much safety and durabality you build into it. I want the outer limbs to bend just enough that you know you got rid of all the mass possible, the inner limbs can be wide enough to do the bending with out taking undue set wich would turn into too much string follow at the tips. I like a longer bow for all the reasons Howard Hill did.    Kenneth
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:46:59 pm by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 02:24:41 am »
Jesse, not brave, just stubborn. ;D  I just don't like working a stave that is longer than 4ft.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

a finnish native

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 05:20:24 am »
selfbows and sinew backed. Maximum lenght 48" and max draw with sinew 24". without sinew somewhere around 21-22. The bow's middle section can be a tiny bit narrower than the widest point of the bow, but usually  I use bows which are 3-3.5 cm wide from the handle and papering to 1-2 cm nocks. draw weight somewhere around 45-60#.
I started my bow hobby with short bows, and I see no reason why to change it. And then there is the romance and the history part of it.

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 10:26:56 am »
Like David Long's, my bows have been getting smaller, shorter and lighter. Long, wide bows are just too much trouble! Nowadays my sticks are 46 - 50" long, up to 1.25" wide, bend-through-the-handle style. 4.5" brace, pulling 35-50# at 20-23". Bows I can take anywhere with me. Bows that negotiate the tighest brush with ease. Bows that look good on the wall. Bows that I can find materials for just about anywhere.

Tuukka

tommy6

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 01:06:30 pm »
Thick, long, narrow tips, short handle, leather arrow rest (If any),  60- 66" NTN, 1 1/4- 1 3/4" at fades/ dyed or stained to look old. Flat back or, if crowned, with 2-3 layers of sinew. Fast is good, quiet with no hand shock is better. 50- 60" at 28". Getting away from traditional leather covered handles, and using more leather and superglue laminations to create comfortable grips ie dished, rounded.