Author Topic: wood ?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline knap_123

wood ?
« on: January 20, 2009, 04:20:29 pm »
i cut his log today and need to were the sap wood starts and ends  i think it to be hickory, this is a slice off the bottom.  is this a good ring pattern and do i need to chase a ring?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: wood ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:24:17 pm »
That's hickory and the sapwood begins under the bark; it is the light colored rings. You will need to chase the back ring to some extent because you winter cut it. If you had waited until spring you would be able to just peel the bark off. Now, you will have to remove the bark and cambium layer before you get to the sapwood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knap_123

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 04:38:10 pm »
thanks pat,  well i guess its a good time to start practicing how to chase a ring , eh?    so i guess one side will be dark and the other light.  that will look pretty nice.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:31:13 pm »
You'll probably have some of the dark heart wood in the belly side of your handle, but probably won't have it on the belly of the limbs unless you go down several layers into the sap wood. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 06:29:14 pm »
I would love to see an all heart wood hickory :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 07:02:01 pm »
I'd stick with an all sapwood bow for hickory, and you can chase a ring, but like with yew, you can get away with not. Hickory is very forgiving.