Author Topic: Where can I get river cane  (Read 12967 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Where can I get river cane
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 02:09:06 pm »
Dino, That is probably river cane(Arundaneria gigantia) or switch cane(A. tecta). either will work for arrows but the switch cane is better. IMO
  You want to harvest mature cane. If the paper like sheath around the nodes is intact, leave it be. If it has started to deteriorate or is gone al together, it is ready to harvest. If it is already tan in color, leave it be. You want the diameter to be about 3/8" at the base.
  As far as spine, cane is more forgiving that parallel shafting because of it natural taper. Just make your arrows longer than normal and if necessary, reduce the length a little at a time until they fly right. If you want to spine them, subtract about 10# of spine weight for the natural taper.(if cane arrow spines at 50# it will be like a 40# spined arrow)
  If you harvested the cane today you should be able to work it in a month or so.
   I usually(but not always) fill the center hole with a bamboo skewer(from local grocery store) or hardwood dowel for the nock and point ends. After that you can taper it for standard glue on points and plastic nocks or you can use trade or stone points and self nocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 02:12:07 pm »
What Pat said, plus keep in mind that the cane will shrink some in diameter as it dries.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dingleberry

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 02:26:03 pm »
I like to cut in natural nocks just behind a node; they haven't broken yet.  You can use foreshafts of wood or just attach points/tips in front of a node, but you may want to strengthen that area with some sinew wrap.   Good Luck

kerbinator

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 07:07:32 pm »
Dino, I don't mind a bit. Your questions have ben helpful. Ime going to try and put some flint point on my cane arrows. Ill be working on that wile they dry. Ive never done any flint Knapin so it's goin to be interesting