Author Topic: show us your medieval arrows  (Read 46959 times)

youngbowyer

Re: show us your medieval arrows
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 08:11:41 pm »
very neat binding

Ian B

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 01:58:41 am »
Nice arrows there Ratty, shame you lost them ;)

Lloyd

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 05:06:20 pm »
Haven't made any war arrows in a long time but here are some old pics
Damascus Swallow tails with cinnamon and white peacock

type 7s

Offline heavybow

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 11:24:14 am »
Very nice arrows. im almost done sorry crappy pictures

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Loki

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 10:44:02 am »
Horn Nock
Durham,England

triton

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 11:27:31 am »
Loki, Do you cut a wedge from the wood or spread the wood to accept the horn?

Offline Loki

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 11:29:16 am »
Cut a wedge in the shaft then shape the horn to fit it,glue the horn in then shape the nock  ;D.
Durham,England

youngbowyer

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 11:36:49 am »
Nice nock Loki! :o ;D ;)

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 11:43:09 am »
I am just getting some new ones done. My old set has just about had it!

Here is some in progress pics:

Some Yew to start your moring right!

Steve

youngbowyer

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 04:16:12 pm »
Ok, first of all, those arrows are a piece of art! truly i mean this!!! ;) Couple of questions how do you get that horn insert so nicely done, what tools do you use for it? What kinds of shafts are they, and those heads are from mark stretton right?

youngbowyer

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 04:17:17 pm »
Ok, first of all, those arrows are a piece of art! truly i mean this!!! ;) Couple of questions how do you get that horn insert so nicely done, what tools do you use for it? What kinds of shafts are they, and those heads are from mark stretton right?

wait no, those heads are from richard head right?

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 05:08:11 pm »
Thanks Younbowyer. This is how I do it:

1. 4. Use a rasp to shape the end of the arrow. I start with 1/4 sawn polar planks and cut them to 1/2" staves, then round them to 1/2" dowels then i do the horn.

2. Make horn wedges. I like to make the actual wedges. That way the fit nicer. I have seen a lot of arrows that are done with more of a slab. These look good if done well but I prefer the wedge look. Makes them look sleek.

3. I use a hacksaw to cut a 2" slot into the shaft. Then I use a very small flat file to flatten and open the slot.

4. Fit the wedge....everne will fit a bit differnt so I make the slot and the wedge together and keep them matched up through the process. Glue the wedge ina nd wrap with line tightly to snug it together.

5. I then taper the shaft all the way from the tip 1/2" to the nock 3/8". I do this with a long belt sander.

6. Sand them with 150, 220,400, steel wool and then finish them up. make sure yiu spend some time with the steel wool on the horn. Get it to shine a bit.

I hope that helps you.

I am not sure where the heads came from. My wife des all of my oredering. I tell her what I need she finds it. I will let you know where she got them when she gets home later.

Steve

youngbowyer

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 05:14:18 pm »
Ok thanks! I have been looking all over for one of those small files though i can't find any so what i do is get a thin steel ruler and put sandpaper around it. Are you going to be post more pictures as you progress?

triton

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 05:37:17 pm »
I essentially, do the same way as yew archer (can be seen in the pictures I posted), except I use a tennon saw to cut the slots and find the wedge can be cut to fit nice.
How far down I taper the shafts depends on what sort of weight I want and where the balance point needs to be.
I have 2 long blocks with strips of sanding belt fixed to them.  the blocks are then fixed to a board, 1/2" apart at one end, 3/8" at the other.  then hold an over length arrow shaft in a pistol drill and run the shaft at slow speed between the blocks, from wide end end to narrow.  I can adjust the taper between the blocks to suit what I need and how long the taper needs to be.  used belts are ok but they get hot and don't cut so well.
I don't know if you can get them there but I use carburundum coated foam blocks for finishing off the sanding.  sort of wrap it around the shaft and sand lengthways.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 05:45:38 pm »
ohhh man! ya learn something new everyday!

"I have 2 long blocks with strips of sanding belt fixed to them.  the blocks are then fixed to a board, 1/2" apart at one end, 3/8" at the other.  then hold an over length arrow shaft in a pistol drill and run the shaft at slow speed between the blocks, from wide end end to narrow.  I can adjust the taper between the blocks to suit what I need and how long the taper needs to be."

Thats a great method. Thank you for sharing!

Steve