Author Topic: A few WarBows  (Read 45007 times)

Offline cracker

Re: A few WarBows
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 09:31:26 pm »
Very impressive bows and archers. As soon as work lightens up a little I intend to start one of osage. In the first photo is that a Yurt in the background.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 09:48:53 pm »
Thanks for sharing the pics, Steve!! Awesome. The who's who of the heavy warbow world. I really want to bring my 90# self yew, and shoot with you blokes! This is sure what I hope the warbow forum will become in the future.
Just a couple of quick questions... why do you tiller your bows "upside down?" Probably not to you, but I'm sure you do it for a reason. Also, I noticed you paint the tiller board background a dark green, does this cut down on shadows, or is it for another reason?
Again, thanks, and keep the good stuff coming. Some of us on this side of the pond share your passion!

Cheers, Adam.

Joe M

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 10:49:52 pm »
Great pictures!  Thanks!!!  Makes a feller want to take up the Warbow! :)

Badbill

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 01:20:49 am »
Thanks for the pictures! Very nice!

stevesjem

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 05:28:00 am »
well i aquired this osage stave that is about 8 ft long,5 inches wide or so.
think i could make a warbow from that?i really would like to give it try. if ya want to see the stave, see my post in anything else titled  "minnesota nice"
it would need a little straigtening
and i would have to get the neighbor to pull it for me,2 shoulder surgeries already dont need another lol   
oh well its something to think about.

peace,
                                                                                               tim                                     

Hi Tim

By all means you can make a self warbow from your Osage, the only down side is that Osage carries huge draw weight for little mass, so f you attempted to make a bow to MR dimensions you would probably end up with a bow of 250lb+, also the limbs would be very heavy in physical weight, personally I would use it as a belly wood and back it with Hickory, I would also put a core wood in of Pau amorello, this wood lighten the physical weight without losing cast.

Good luck with it though

Steve

stevesjem

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 05:29:52 am »
Very impressive bows and archers. As soon as work lightens up a little I intend to start one of osage. In the first photo is that a Yurt in the background.Ronnie

Hi Ronnie

Yes it is a Yurt, this is at my freind Celestino Poletti's place in Italy, he is mad on Horseback archery and the Mongols, especially Genghis Kahn.

stevesjem

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 05:32:41 am »
Thanks for sharing the pics, Steve!! Awesome. The who's who of the heavy warbow world. I really want to bring my 90# self yew, and shoot with you blokes! This is sure what I hope the warbow forum will become in the future.
Just a couple of quick questions... why do you tiller your bows "upside down?" Probably not to you, but I'm sure you do it for a reason. Also, I noticed you paint the tiller board background a dark green, does this cut down on shadows, or is it for another reason?
Again, thanks, and keep the good stuff coming. Some of us on this side of the pond share your passion!

Cheers, Adam.

Hi Adam
You would be most welcome to shoot with us anytime mate.
I have always tillered my bows this way, no particular reason really, it's just the way I do it.
My tiller board is green because it used to be my sons table tennis table ;D

Cheers

Steve

stevesjem

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 05:34:48 am »
Great pictures!  Thanks!!!  Makes a feller want to take up the Warbow! :)

I really hope you do take it up Joe, it is very addictive and as recent posts have shown, people can get very passionate about it.

Steve

stevesjem

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 05:40:15 am »
I thought you guys might like this, This is on one of our trips to Italy,
Joseph Gibbs, Mark Stretton, Nick Ashley, Glennan Carnie and myself having fun with warbows, all the bows used are 120+ except for the Hungarian bow being shot by Celestino Poletti at Joseph, Now I know this looks a bit dangerous but Celestino holds the world record for 17,000 accurate arrows in a 24hr period, so we trust him completely, well Joseph did anyawy.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VKxMq-THdO0

cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:45:26 am by stevesjem »

Offline cracker

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 07:26:38 am »
Joseph Gibbs, Mark Stretton, Nick Ashley, Glennan Carnie and myself having fun with warbows, all the bows used are 120+ except for the Hungarian bow being shot by Celestino Poletti at Joseph, Now I know this looks a bit dangerous but Celestino holds the world record for 17,000 accurate arrows in a 24hr period, so we trust him completely, well Joseph did anyawy.

cheers

Steve
That was very impressive. What breed is the charger?Ronnie

stevesjem

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 08:39:58 am »
I'm not sure what you mean Ronnie??

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 08:42:56 am »

cheers

Steve
Steve,
Is he going for Debbie McGee's job ;D
Thanks for post these Mate.  Brings back some memories.
Cheers,
Jeremy
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:05:01 pm by Yeomanbowman »

Horsie

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 09:48:13 am »
The 'Charger' is a very rare and endangered breed called a 'Leicestershire'  ;D

Offline cracker

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 02:44:48 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean Ronnie??
Charger meaning horse or a lame attempt to poke fun at the fellow on whose shoulders you were riding.

Offline Fearny

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 08:13:46 pm »
Cracking pictures Steve, nice Video too!