Author Topic: Rit dye Question?  (Read 3344 times)

Offline PeteC

Rit dye Question?
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:07:28 pm »
I just finished up a little hickory D-bow,and was thinking of using one of the interesting colors of rit dye.I have used it with water before,and had a little problem with the grain lifting.I have noticed several of you have used it mixed with alcohol,or acetone,or some other medium.Does it work more like oil -base stain when using this method,and how do you mix it ,and apply? Proportions of mix,and did you heat it,as it says to do with water? I would sure appreciate any info. Thanks,and God Bless
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:21:28 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Rit dye Question?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:38:58 pm »
You're overcomplicating it. I just dump some rit crystals in the bottom of a cup, pour in enough rubbing alchohol to make a really strong, almost pasty mixture. dip the corner of a paper towel in it and start rubbing.After it dries a minute or two, rub the excess off with a clean paper towel. No heating, the directions on the package are for dying cloth. You can mix colors in any combination you'd like. You may have to rub a few coats on to get the darkness of color you want.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:42:28 pm »
 They do make the rit dye in a liquid.. wich is easier.. It will all still lift the grain on the hickory.. You can take the hickory and wipe it with a dampened cloth then sand the lifted grain off with fine grit sand paper and repeat till the grain dont lift. Then stain the bow..

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 02:46:49 pm »
David is dead-on with the damp paper towel thing. The alchohol mix doesn't raise it much at all, though. Applying a finsh will do it sometimes, too, so I usually always do the paper towel thing while I'm sanding the bow. I've used the liquid Rit, too, but I can get a truer color at a stronger concentration with the crystals.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 02:48:00 pm »
Pete, water will lift the grain on hickory, especially, but other woods also. Use this to your advantage before you dye your bow. With a damp(not wet) cloth wipe down the bow and set it aside to dry. When dry you will notice the small "hairs" sticking up. Sand the bow again removing the "hairs". Wipe it again and hairs will stand up, but not as pronounced as before. After a few of these you will get a smooth surface to work with.
  I believe the alcohol will do the same but maybe not to the extent the water does. I have not used Rit dye or Kool Ade to dye bows but many have. You might have to experiment to see what works best for you.
   One of my favorite finishes for hickory is ground charcoal worked into the grain. I use it with bear fat and hand rub it in but water or other oils work too. What this does is highlights the grain but doesn't hide the beauty of the wood.  I have done the same thing with leather dye that has been diluted with more alcohol. More of a "wash"  effect rather than a solid dye job.     Pat

ps. David and Steve, Great minds.....! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 02:53:10 pm »
Thank you Steve,David,and Pat.I appreciate the shared knowledge.I need to get some dye and finish this bow.Thanks,and God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas