Author Topic: Primitive strings  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Little John

Primitive strings
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:53:15 am »
Have been getting imto primitive strings the last week or two, have yet to finnish one but am well on my way on a sinue one. Have always fancied making a stone age bow and a poly string just wouldn't do. I just never could imagine how to put a pile of 5-6" sinue threads together and end up with a servicable bow string, well it is not really that hard once you get your feet wet. I am sure with more practice and experience I can get a nice one. The only thing I havent figured out is what to serve with or just shoot it without? I will probably hunt big game with fast flight strings but playing with the primitive ones is going to be a lot of fun. I encourage every one to jump in and get their feet wet. Oh Dana thanks for the sinue you sent last year it is coming in very useful.   
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline DanaM

Re: Primitive strings
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:19:25 pm »
Kenneth I'm glad the sinew is cioming in handy if ya run short let me know I have a private stash and
could spare a few more pieces. Post some pictures when you get it done :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:21:27 pm »
You got it dana, thanks again.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 12:24:54 pm »
I haven't made any with sinue, but have made dozens out of "weeds." I agree I think anyone can do it... With a little patience. I don't typically serve my weed strings, maybe just add a little extra material at the center. I think you have to prepare yourself for the fact that your primitive string won't last like a nylon string would and just shoot it until it breaks. With experience you will learn how to make them big enough to shoot on your bows. One piece of advise: don't string them up on a heavy bow!

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 12:40:18 pm »
Yep they are not for thousands of shots of every day shooting, but more for special events and show and tell and just to feel good about. I Just keep taking baby steps backward little by little.     Kenneth

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 12:43:54 pm »
Kenneth, you can just serve it with thin strands of back sinew.  I have tried it, and it worked pretty well.
Dan

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:52:48 pm »
Dan, what about the splices when you run out of length?  Tie together with a knot?  Thanks for the help.    Kenneth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 01:57:31 pm »
Kenneth, All you need is enough to protect the string from the arrow nock. I strand of back strap sinew should be enough to do that.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 02:09:45 pm »
Oh thanks Pat, never even thought about that. Guess we need to use the kiss method, Keep It Simple Stupid. You are absolutely right.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 03:30:55 pm »
kenneth, I sometimes use sinew for serving on my linen strings, I usually put it on wet with a bit of hide glue and then when it dries seal it up with wax. It will tighten up real well. Steve

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 10:23:23 pm »
Thanks Steve, very helpful.    Kenneth

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 12:18:17 pm »
Success, The string came out fairly good and I know the next one can be better, with the experience I gained on this one. It works good on a 45# bow and is not very thick, I don't know how to judge how thick they need to be for the bow, but do know that an over built string slows the arrow the same as an over built bow. Any way it feels great to know I can make primitive arrows and strings, now for a truly primitive bow, and harvest.  Kenneth

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 12:24:08 pm »
Congrats Ken, I have started several sinew strings but never finished one. I have been wanting to make up aome small test sections to test the breaking strength, did it stretch like dacron? Steve

Offline Little John

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 12:42:16 pm »
Steve, yes it stretched like crazy, might not have been totally dry altho it felt like it was. No hand shock at all in the bow, maybe from the stretch when the string stops. Now just to serve and do a primitive nock point. Don't be afraid of it if you can make a regular string you can do this one, just takes a lot longer.