Author Topic: Mulberry with boo backing  (Read 2803 times)

Stringman

Mulberry with boo backing
« on: January 17, 2009, 12:18:31 pm »
I'm a virgin when it comes to using bamboo for a backing. But I picked up a couple pieces at MOJAM last year and am wanting to try my hand at it. I have a pretty piece of mulberry that was too knotty to leave unbacked. However the piece is slightly reflexed and I want to keep it in the finished bow. My question is, if I wanted to do any more heat warping do I have to do it before I laminate the boo backing on? Or can I do that after the two pieces are together?

Offline DanaM

Re: Mulberry with boo backing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:28:41 pm »
Best to do it first, heat will soften the glue and the boo will most likely release.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:34:59 pm »
I would taper the mulberry down to floor-tiller so that the limbs are bending pretty evenly, then add reflex when you glue it up. Glued-in reflex will probably hold better than the heat-induced reflex.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 02:06:10 pm »
That's a good point. I was thinkin about reducing it down first. This confirms it.

Also, it is necessary to build in some deflex?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 03:42:19 pm »
Reflex is not necessary but it will keep the visible set to a minimum. If you add 3" of Perry reflex at glue up you should net a bow with about 1" of reflex or flat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC