Author Topic: black locust question  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Dave 55

black locust question
« on: January 16, 2009, 12:40:26 pm »
Was wondering on black locust if you use the back with sapwood removed or take it down to one continuos ring,any info would be appreciated,thanks Dave.
Now is the good old days

Offline DanaM

Re: black locust question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 12:41:45 pm »
Usually you remove the sapwood and chase a ring, but I believe a few people have left some sapwood.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 12:53:09 pm »
Generally with locust you want to remove the sapwood and chase to a good heartwood ring. As Dana said some folks have left some of the sapwood on the bow but if you do you need to be certain the sapwood is sound and has no rot in it. If you cut the tree yourself and have handled it correctly, you could use the sapwood on the back. Most don't.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:44:52 pm »
Thanks for the info guys its appreciated.
Now is the good old days

Offline richpierce

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:14:17 pm »
It can look really pretty if you leave the sapwood on.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 02:30:54 pm »
Take it off if you have enough heartwood. If you don't then go as close to the heartwood as possible as the sapwood is stronger. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 06:27:43 pm »
                                                                           ????????????
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 10:51:26 pm »
I have a couple of B.L. staves that I chased to the first good heartwood ring.  I thought that you had to get to heartwood.  But Woodland Roamer posted a B.L. bow with the sapwood on.  It looks like it came out really nice.  The contrast of the sapwood to heartwood looks good as well.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 12:50:24 am »
Rick, It really depends on how the stave was handled since the tree was cut. Locust sapwood will rot and that would make it too weak to use.    I have a locust stave that Alan(Woodland Roamer) gave me last summer. I would trust the sapwood on it because I'm sure Alan treated the wood right after he harvested it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC