Author Topic: Crack on belly  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Postman

Crack on belly
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:58:54 am »
This belly crack appeared as i was attempting to reflex a limb a weeee bit more with the heat gun.... It's about 5 inches from the bottom  nock on a 58" NTN bow. Filled it with superglue, then added more to the entire area when it dried.  I think the crack is only in the outer  growth ring that comes to a point to the right of the crack. Was thinking I could wrap,(probably dental floss or sinew? ) Finish the tiller and shoot away..... Bow has been shot a bit before the limb was re - reflexed.  The good news is the reflex took nicely.

Also, I was wondering if y'all building Torges' "HOB Style" have noticed assymetrical limbs tending to develop hinges a few inches outta the fades on the lower limbs late in the tiller proccess, even with concerted efforts to make the limb stronger there. (that's why i was trying to get more reflex)

Whaddaya think?
John

Oh - those cut trees..... Anybody near Shen. County VA need some hickory or oak? or just firewood? Power company came thru and cut and de-limbed TONS on the nat'l forest by me... come and get it! I'll help ya load! you can drive a truck right up to it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:04:59 pm by Postman »
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline n2everythg

Re: Crack on belly
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:08:59 pm »
I think that one is prob fine and you wont have any issues. Never know til you try tho.
Doesnt look very deep. prob on one growth ring.

I had a black locust do that on me. used super glue and then wrapped in sinew just to be sure.
been shooting it for 2 yrs with no issues.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:55:36 pm »
If the crack is a result of heating then it's probably not an issue. If you don't like how it looks just put a thread wrap around it and another on the other limb for artistic balance.

I build all my bows with asymetrical limbs and have not seen the hinging problem you describe. Are you sure you're not taking off too much wood near the fades?
Gordon

Offline Postman

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 02:57:27 pm »
I tried to "sneak up' on the fades and tips, and it kinda sprung in early shoot - in. My other 2 osage efforts were similar - probably need to do a grid behind to make sure i'm keeping the bottom limb stiffer than i "see" ....
 Bow is only  about 45# @ 27" but it's a gift for a nephew who has never shot bows at all, so that's probably a good thing, startin' him out low.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:26:18 pm »
I don't rely solely on how the arch of the limbs look to my eyes until the late stages of tillering. That's because a bow's shape can change substantially as it approaches final tiller (paricularly with high tension woods like vine maple). Instead I run my fingers along the back and belly to make sure that the taper is correct and even. As I get closer to target weight I use my eyes more and more to detect flat spots. It's hard to end up with a hinge if you use this method.
Gordon