Author Topic: Bow -Mtn (Douglas) Maple  (Read 8851 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Bow -Mtn (Douglas) Maple
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:43:10 am »
Mtn Maple (Douglas Maple)
Snoqualmie Pass, WA
65.5" NtN - 40# @ 28"

Not a great tiller, but it sure is a smooth draw.  I had this one built earlier in the year, but just put finishing touches on it the other day.  I was making it for a turkey bow, decided instead to give it to my step-dad.  I have never given a bow away yet - I was surprised how good a feeling that was.  I really liked this bow, the way the tree had raised ridges really gave it character - and the knot below the handled was a fun touch.  It also had a few minor knots to deal w/ on the limbs. 

A lot of firsts here - this was my first attempt at tip overlays (antler).  The string is my first home made string.  The handle lacing I've done before, but I stacked leather scrap for the arrow rest (a first).  Its a pretty bow, I couldn't get the pictures to do much justice.   And, oooooh, I liked this one... cherry bark strike plate.

I sure love my new hobby - trying to make a bow look like Gordon's will keep me striving and off the streets for at least one lifetime.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:48:45 am by BigWapiti »
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline BigWapiti

Re: Bow -Mtn (Douglas) Maple
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 02:47:17 am »
I'm working to get my bend further out toward the tips - as you can see, I'm still having a tough time making that happen.  Inch by inch... I'll get there. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:02:57 am »
                         Very Nice Bow Mike....I love maple....Makes a nice Bow....Love the Dye Job too.........

Excellent work with a Gnarly Piece of Wood!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 06:00:27 am »
Great looking bow and I'm sure your step dad will love it, personally I love to give bows away, always hoping
to get someone else addicted ;) Your tiller looks fine to me, I don't think its necessary for the limbs to bend
right to the tips, depends on the design. There is more than one perfect tiller, it all depends on the design.
Well done :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 12:12:14 pm »
Excellent! Very nicely tillered and bookmarked for Jan Self Bow of the Month
Is Douglas Maple the same as big maple which is common on the coast side of Snoqualmie? (Got the avalanches resolved on I-90...I've got to get to Seattle sometime this winter?)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 12:18:59 pm »
Nothing wrong with the tiller on that bow...or the finish...or the grip...or the tips ;D You get the picture ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:25:25 pm »
Ohhh! I really like the cherry bark strike plate, and the way you have tied the rawhide at the ends of the handle lacing. And the colour job is deep and ritch good work. ALso that knot by the handle is really pretty.  Man I love coming here!
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 01:09:41 pm »
Thanks guys - bootboy, yeah, I was just messing around with the cherry bark and had an aha moment. Thanks Saw Filer! Thank you too Oldbow, I don't think its Big Maple, they're much smaller trunk size, but bigger leaved than VM; DanaM, thanks for the comments - glad to know on tiller; El Destructo, Thank you for the nice comment.
Mike B.
Central Washington State

John B.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 01:34:02 pm »
Tiller's great and the finish is really eye-catching.

Nice work!

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 02:13:50 pm »
Great looking bow!  I really like the colors and the character too.  Like the others said, I don't see anything wrong with the tiller either.  Good job. :)
south central VA

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 04:14:16 pm »
Really nice Mike. The knot gives the bow an extra measure of character. Your step-dad will be proud to own it.
Gordon

Offline Jesse

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 04:40:27 pm »
That looks great. I like the knot below the handle :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 05:40:36 pm »
Great looking bow, I love maple, it's my wood of choice. I too like the cherry bark strike plate.
VB

Offline sulphur

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 09:01:54 pm »
artists dont make art to keep for themselves.  giving them away is a good feeling, and a good way to promote the sport.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 10:20:13 pm »
Thanks again guys -every once in a while, a bow I bring out of my messy shop turns out pretty nice.  This was one of them; I have to say its so far my favorite.  It is super light to carry too.  It took me forever to finish it - I didn't think it would ever get done.

But yeah, I'll be using more this cherry bark.
Mike B.
Central Washington State