Author Topic: Most water resistant finish  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Little John

Most water resistant finish
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:20:04 am »
I have always used polyurethane finish on my bows as it was easy, quick and I figured it to be very water pruff. I hunt in the rain and wet conditions a lot and don't want to ruin a bow or a hunt or miss hunting days because my finish was not up to the conditions. I would rather use a more primitive-traditional-home made finish if I had one that would offer as good or almost as good protection. Any info appreciated.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Most water resistant finish
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:25:42 am »
I think the typical finishes we use today are probably the best. Jay Massey used to use French Polish(hand rubbed shellac /linseed oil) but later went to Massey finish(thinned epoxy). Where Jay hunted(Alaska) is about as wet as it gets. 
   I have always had good luck with Tru-Oil. Been through some good rain showers with little ill effects. Some folks use paste wax over their other finish. That might be a good option when rain or damp weather is expected.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:38:54 am »
Spar urethane has been the best I have used, but that's not what you're looking for ????

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 11:20:53 am »
Parrifin wax is supposed to be really good, haven't tried it yet myself.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 11:22:03 am »
 i like the tru oil but hate how easey it scratches up !! latley iv been usin the thunderbird epoxey i think this is about as good as ur gonna get  to  keep water out ! but probley not what you want as it s not premtive ,, maybe a chuck of bear fat every few days rubbed down   when it s wet  ha    have fun  brock

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 04:18:24 pm »
Spar urethane for me too. Grease worked in with a heat gun or hair dryer if I want to stay primitive. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 04:31:35 pm »
if its real wet i will seal my bow up with a premade mixture i whipped up.  i boiled down some bear fat into grease, then melted it down and mixed it with paraffin wax, the wax stiffens it up but not to thick consisency as just the wax.  its about like creamy peanut butter when i put it on. then i use a little open flame to thin it down more and to penetrate the wood.  heat it up and rub it in. - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive