Author Topic: come on guys...  (Read 10608 times)

Offline mitchman

come on guys...
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:44:08 pm »
just looking at the bowers den and saw this. we can do better than that. why is it so bad to shoot a fiberglass. i shoot my compound all the time. i think no less of these fiberglass shooters. it a step toward getting more primitive, right.  just thought i would voice this. dont think it is a good thing to do to promote this site or primitive archery.

http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/index.cgi?board=bish&action=display&num=1218665059

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: come on guys...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:08:02 pm »
I think anyone is welcome to come here and talk hunting and primitive archery, but you have to draw the line at some point or this will be just like any other trad site. -- i like them just fine, but i love this site, its by far my favorite, b\c it is primitive! my heart and soul lays with with non glass bows.
      i dont want anyone that  likes glass to feel unwelcome, I even own a bear grizzly that my dad gave me. i dont mind seeing the glass or rifle kills in "anything else" at all. but is where they should stay to keep this site what it is...a great primitive site.  Im sorry if it offend someone to have their picture moved from the hunting pics to the anything else, i have had my rifle kill moved..i wasnt upset!  i spose you cant please everyone.
                         ....or we can say to hell with it! this means WAR!!!!  ::)   lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:14:58 pm »
i own a wheelie bow i own a recurve,a bear( i think it is )
seems like every selfbow i make, i give away.my wife says i'm nuts,i figure everyone i give away gives me a reason to make my next.
the only bow i have kept for myself so far has been a boo/ipe elb.
by time i make a selfbow for myself, i may actually be making some that look good and have decent tiller.

however, yes any talk about glass type bows does belong in the "anything else" area.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:25:14 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:15:31 pm »
I agree that glass and such should stay in "anything else." I don't know why anyone would have any objections to this. I still rifle hunt and up until recently even shot a wheel bow from time to time. I really like this site for what it is a wooden bow site. I believe if kindly given an explination any person should be more than willing to abide by the boards rules and if they don't, we don't want people like that around.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline George D. Stout

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:23:15 pm »
It's a primitive site and there are lots of others around.  I shoot recurves, longbows and selfbows and it doesn't strain my sensibilities any.   I came here because it was primitive only and a breath of fresh air.  I have three or four other forums that talk other bows.
On still he goes with back berond of cedar shafts with feather frond;
for him the great success you see, is not to get, but just to be,
amidst the oak and the hickory tree.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 09:28:35 pm »
Shoot fiberglass and compounds but you shouldn't shoot them here. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:41:12 pm »
ya i read the post on the site that link goes to.
sounds like a bunch of wining sallies,got their panty hose in bunches just cause we dont want them talking"f" on the bow link of this site.
they just dont understand that they can talk that in the anything else area or other sites. we wouldnt go over to their fiberglass sites ans start abuild along on making a self bow. duh

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:47:00 pm »
There are lots of sites where people can talk about fiberglass bows. Fiberglass bow shooters are welcome here, as well as compound bow shooters and riflemen. Just talk about them where appropriate. We all come here to talk about wooden bows. Not fiberglass bows. That's not the point of the site.

And I feel blessed to have primitive archer. It gets depressing when time and time again all you hear about is how "even the worst modern fiberglass recurve can outshoot a wooden bow" by people who've never even shot one. The internet is a big place. If it's not what you're looking for, look somewhere else. Sheesh ::)!!!!

Offline George D. Stout

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 09:51:57 pm »
You only need to read a few posts on that "site" to see what it entails.   How long do you think this would stay primitive if you pushed the barn doors open?    As I said, a breath of fresh air.   

Jawge.....This no child left behind program is scaring the heck out of me,  apparently, comprehension is going to heck.   ::)

Texas Pete

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 09:55:17 pm »
Another feeding frenzy ;D

Built my last one with hand tools only, no band saws (like I've seen used here), no belt sander (like i've seen used here); just good old fashioned hand tools.

I'm sure others here have done the same.  I guess I'm just wondering what is considered "Primitive" here

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 10:02:13 pm »
Another feeding frenzy ;D

Built my last one with hand tools only, no band saws (like I've seen used here), no belt sander (like i've seen used here); just good old fashioned hand tools.

I'm sure others here have done the same.  I guess I'm just wondering what is considered "Primitive" here

Most of us don't consider our bows primitive. We consider them wooden. And I know so long as people make an effort to put a black mark on the reputatin of wooden bows, I'll make that distinction >:(.

Offline George D. Stout

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 10:06:33 pm »
If you don't get it, you don't want to get it.   It's not a Mensa organization.  I guess things must be politically correct nowadays or people just can't understand.   How about bow from material that can be gathered naturally and processed without chemical help.

Texas Pete

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 10:07:41 pm »

Most of us don't consider our bows primitive. We consider them wooden. And I know so long as people make an effort to put a black mark on the reputatin of wooden bows, I'll make that distinction >:(.

But this is PRIMITIVE Archer!!!

This is PRIMITIVE Archer and we don't like fiberglass. To us it is the "F-word".  Knowing that I can guarantee that everyone here will say glue it with white glue then seal the bow like you would any other bow. Many bows have been done this way and with great results. Justin

So where is the line drawn as to whats "Primitive"?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 10:35:16 pm »
 Got any pics of that abo bow you made TP?

Would rather talk bows than splittin hairs anyday ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 10:45:57 pm »
TP

that bow you made,were those modern hand tools or where they pieces of rock and natural glass?

i make what "i" will call a primitive bow, a bow that comes from a piece of a tree.

most of claim that,however very few of us claim we made them the primitive way.
they dont have to be made from stone tools to be a primitive bow,primitive bows were made from wood,sinew horn etc.
natural materials. that other stuff, "f", not so natural,therfore not primitive,even if you were to use a stick to stir it and apply it,its still not a natural or primitive
material.

i have made  most with nothing more than mere modern hand tools,rasp and files etc.
only recently  have i started to use a band saw to ruff out the shape. i got tired of spending endless hours with a rasp iny my hands trying to get to ruff shape.
other than the band saw,still ue just hand tools to do the rest of the work