Author Topic: primitive archery  (Read 10155 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Re: primitive archery
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 11:50:17 am »
i'll say the people who wrote the bowyers bibles, torges books,  and everyone who was on the old pa site had a ton of influence in my archer adventure.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 06:34:35 pm »
I have to admit my dad is at the top.  He got my brothers and I into archery and it was up to him that I even started building  bows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sailordad

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 09:19:58 pm »
marc if you learned from your dad,he must have been one hell of a bowyer/mentor,cause your work is outstanding and inspiring in itself.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kegan

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 09:58:57 pm »
Oh geeze! I'd have to say that NECESSITY ranks as number one :D! But As Ryano and Pappy said, my bows aren't primitive. They're wooden. And I like them that way :).

Any contributor who's tried to help others along, to build their own bows, and wrote about it all for the world to see.

Howard Hill cretainly showed the world what a wooden (or bamboo in his case) bow can do.

Will and Maurice Thompson seemed to have brought bow hunting as it is to the whites of America.

The Native Americans, as well as any indiginouse people out there, have showed what lethal and efficient weapons the are (they wouldn't be here if they weren't).

Saxton Pope, and definately Art Young brought about the thrills of Robin Hood to the U.S.

And all the contributors of the Bowyer's Bibles have brought the information necessary for beginners to work a stick into a bow to the twentieth century for everyone to enjoy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 01:48:27 am »
WE are what makes "primitive" archery what it is today. Twenty years ago there were a handful of folks making wood bows. It's almost like the way archery was originally developed all over the world at about the same time. The flood gates opened, human nature took over and Man has again developed "primitive" archery.    It's likely that there is more knowledge of "primitive" archery at any given time on this website than there was in general when Primitive Archer Magazine was first published.
  We are the ones doing the experimenting...using different woods that nobody would have used 10 years ago...pushing the envelope with techniques and design. I think the Thompson Brothers are responsible for modern American archery and its popularity.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC