Author Topic: Looking for sinew help/advice please...  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Roy

Looking for sinew help/advice please...
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:01:50 pm »
I had the bamboo splinter up on a bow I was tillering. The bow and tiller is so sweet that I want to save it. So I decided to back it with sinew, over top of the boo, Is that ok? I have never done this and could use some tips. I don't have a clue of how to do it, other than glue the sinew on in strips I guess. What should I use for glue? How do I apply the sinew, I have long back strap sinew. Maybe 10 to 12 inches long and varied width from 1/2 to 1 inch wide. Do I lay the strips side by side, place another strip over the edges, etc? What do I need to do to prepare the sinew before placing it on the bow? Thanks, Roy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Looking for sinew help/advice please...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:35:48 pm »
What I would do is put super glue in the splinter and add a sinew wrap over it. That way your tiller will be less effected, if at all...and I don't know if sinew would adhere to the boo anyway. 
       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 03:13:10 am »
Bamboo cores are the basis of many horn bows.  The sinew sticks real good!  But I like the idea of a smaller repair.  Just glue and bind down the splinter.   Add a matching wrap on the other limb for cosmesis if you want.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 06:26:05 am »
Sounds like a repair job and not a backing job. Super glue like Pat and then sinew/glue around the section of limb.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 06:37:41 am »
I would go with Pat,I do that a lot,not necessarily where a splinter came up but where I think one might. :) Just a little insurance is sometimes good.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:05:33 am »
M-P, there is a difference between a boo backing and a boo core. The backing has the outside rind and slick outer layer that I think would not adhere well with sinew and a core is only the porous inner "wood" of the bamboo...anyway the repair would be simpler with less effects on the already tillered bow.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 11:44:57 am »
Sinew will stick to the boo OK.  I would do like Pat said though.  I have wrapped with sinew and with silk.  A little silk wrapping on both limbs looks really good.  A lot of guys do it just for looks. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Roy

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:38:17 pm »
Ok, thanks guys.

Snake-Jo

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 09:25:35 am »
M-P, there is a difference between a boo backing and a boo core. The backing has the outside rind and slick outer layer that I think would not adhere well with sinew and a core is only the porous inner "wood" of the bamboo...anyway the repair would be simpler with less effects on the already tillered bow.       Pat

It depends on what you mean with "core". The core of a composit-bow may exist with outside rind. If you scrub the rind well, a sinew backing is no problem.
But in this case I would prefer:
First a repair with epoxy (heatened)
Second a wraping or binding of sinew or silk or line/ cord.