Author Topic: come on guys...  (Read 10607 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: come on guys...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 10:53:08 pm »
it's real simple texas pete the line is drawn on wood bows only. Or backed bows with natural backing.real simple. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kegan

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 10:55:34 pm »

Most of us don't consider our bows primitive. We consider them wooden. And I know so long as people make an effort to put a black mark on the reputatin of wooden bows, I'll make that distinction >:(.

But this is PRIMITIVE Archer!!!

This is PRIMITIVE Archer and we don't like fiberglass. To us it is the "F-word".  Knowing that I can guarantee that everyone here will say glue it with white glue then seal the bow like you would any other bow. Many bows have been done this way and with great results. Justin

So where is the line drawn as to whats "Primitive"?

That was the name of the magazine when it started. They needed some way to seperate wooden bow and arrow and stone point users from the rest, and that's what fit. And Pappy put it perfectly :).

On a side note, I've personally seen a bandsaw from 1901 (pedal), and if we had the materials my brother, father and I could make a spring pole one.

Hey wait- we could make one, couldn't we :)...?

Besides, who can define what's primitive? We talking pre-19th century? What? Because even the lever action rifle is more "primitive" than the fiberglass laminated bow if it's jsut a matter of dates. As Tracy said- we can split hairs all day. I've seen compound bow shooters call their rigs "stick and string", even though there isn't a stick or string on the whole thing :D!

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 10:57:34 pm »
Texas, the word primitive seems to give many fits, especially when fg is introduced.

I have my dictionary out, and this is part of the definition of primitive:

1. of or existing from the beginning or the earliest times or ages, ancient, orgiinal
2. chactaristic or imitatative of the earliest ages
3. not deritiavative, primary, basic.

If that means to you only pre-steel stone tools, fine. If that means only hand tools, no power tools, fine. If that means no electricity or heat in your shop, fine. If that means no modern string materials or wood finishes, okay too.

One of those guys over at the bowyer's den called this a viper pit. :) Sssssssss....mean old snakes, one and all. I hope they dont breath too much fg fibers as they curse this place. It would be a shame. :)

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 11:02:12 pm »
T.P....should have stayed on the Bowyers Den with the FG.....You know the Rules and you still disregard them......like you said over there.............

Texas_Pete
Newbie Member (doesn't mean I'm a newbie bowyer)

I got slapped around over there for wanting to back a bow with FG and cover that with snakeskins.

Bow turned out great, but I wont tell them that

Texas Pete 

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 11:04:13 pm »
Shoot fiberglass and compounds but you shouldn't shoot them here. :) Jawge
Couldn't be siad any better.

This is why we like to put this dog down quick.  What do you say we put this one to sleep, AGAIN.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 11:04:52 pm »
Shoot fiberglass and compounds but you shouldn't shoot them here. :) Jawge
Couldn't be siad any better.

This is why we like to put this dog down quick.  What do you say we put this one to sleep, AGAIN.  ;) Justin

Lock It...........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dane

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 11:06:20 pm »
Good idea. Toss out the key. And good night.

And Pete, you are so busted, lol.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Texas Pete

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 11:10:33 pm »
It all makes Sense guys.  We all have definitions of whats primitive.

The problem being is when someone comes over and either tells you of a FG bow they used once or asks a question everyone seems to get hostile.  Yup, thats a really good way to keep people around

And Kegan, you dont have to explain anything to me about the magazine. I'll say it again, I Was on board with Steve Hulsey when it started, and After several phone calls and questions from Steve after the magazine started, He started Wilderness Way magazine.

I could tell you from being in the group of the first writers and subscribers than none of those folks would have jumped on folks for asking a Q about FG, or using FG, as hard as you folks have in the recent past.

Seems like a self-righteous bunch here, but hey, we all have our quirks

Oh, and since Pappy didnt ask to see pics, I guess i shouldnt post any, so theyre taken down now

Folks what I'm getting at is dont be so quick to judge another just because they do something a little different than you

ETA

Ya Know, after a little thought, and after your members wanting to lock this down so quick, I've finally decided that this isnt the place for me.  And neither is Primitive Archer. I'll contact them and have my subscription canceled, knowing what kind of Hypocrites are in charge.

You all have a good one
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:34:06 pm by Texas Pete »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 11:18:41 pm »
I don't known why this is so hard,well said Dana,wood or backed with natural material,I don't know or care what they say at the
bowyers den,if you agree with them stay there.If you don't welcome, but don't try and stir up stuff here we don't need or appreciate
it.

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Shooter_G22

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 11:22:47 pm »
when i first found this site i started reading and asking questions about bows...  and i think i was attempting to build a pecan board bow... with a pecan backing and i used f/g in between the bow and backing... and used an epoxy that is used for f/g marine text for f/g bondo...   i was asking questions and posting pics...  
  i was emediatly told that f/g was a "no no" here on this site but i was not spoken to or "msg" any any rude or disrespectful manner.... in fact i was still welcomed and given alot of advice... i had alot of problems trying to finish that bow but even after it was done and pics posted i got some nice comments on it and i felt welcome and been here ever since...

for anyone to feel like the poeple here on this site are "A-holes"  just becuase they have told a certain somebody that f/g is not something we discuse here is just plain silly... ::)

i mean i was told once and i figured it out...  it makes perfect since...  "primitive site"   means primitive discusions....

i mean if your a mechanic or clasic car restore person   and you mainly restore old chevy and camaros... and you happen to stumble accross a site that restores and rebuild mustangs...  i mean you wouldnt want to go around talking a whole bunch about camaros...   i mean even if you did and somebody advised you that this is a mustange site...  you and if you get offended than thats something you should work out on your own...  sound to me like a personal problem...    by the way i like camaro's over a mustange...!  lol...

anyways to me and my opinion...   i think its a respect issue...   we come here and convers about primitive archery...  hince the name "Primitive Archery"

i personaly have a f/g bow and the kids on the youth group team have some F/G bows but we are trying to fix that problem... ;)  

but i have been told by many people here that shooting a f/g bow is better than not shooting a bow at all... soo we do what we can...  and try not to talk about it here...    what i do try and talk about here is what is meant to talk about here and leave it at that...  with respect and honor to the site!
anybody that cant do the same sounds like to me has some personal issues... and maybe should not be here to begain with...   :o

just my own opinion...   hope i didnt step on any toes...

if i did  :P

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 11:26:13 pm »
Thanks,Pete. And I didn't ask to see pictures. :) :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RG

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 11:43:47 pm »
Primitive might not be the right word but we do talk wood bows here

Ron

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 11:50:23 pm »
                                                                 Nicely Put Ron

There is still and always the "ANYTHING ELSE" category for the other Stuff
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 11:53:52 pm »
Woodbows...have em and discuss them here and there
Backed bows....have em and discuss them here and there
Glass bows...have one or two and discuss them there but not here.....I participate in both boards and have sent many a guy here to get more information but I have always operated under the guiding principles at hand...discuss what you want WHERE appropriate.  I sure wouldnt go to some four wheeler site and try to talk about my little mini cooper lol....I like that board over there..I LOVE the people on this site.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 12:35:10 am »
What makes it Primitive is that all of the natural materials we use for bows and backings were available to Primitive man.  Things like wood, grasses, plant fibre, and animal products like silk, rawhide and sinew just to name a few.

As for the A-hole. I'm the one they were calling an A-hole and I'm not bothered so I ask everyone else not to be.

I think you are right Mike, I will be locking this one.

Texas Pete, I want to see pictures of it.  Start a thread in bows.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah