Author Topic: Help me- handle glue up?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Kegan

Help me- handle glue up?
« on: January 08, 2009, 06:21:31 pm »
The plan is to do a R/D build along with a red oak board. However, because of the way I'm intending to do the bow, I need it a full 3/4" thick out of the fades. Could I do an EXTREME fade dip, several inches longer, so the thin edge begins to bend as part of the limb? I've seen several bows done this way, but almost everything I've read and been told is that the limb-wood should drop down? I do this on all my stiraghtbows, but for this one I can't get away with it. Help :P.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help me- handle glue up?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:34:40 pm »
If the handle area is going to bend, even just a little, you can make your handle riser out of multiple layers of thin wood strips. This seems to take some bending but probably not much. Another option is to make the handle out of shoe leather. It will flex with the bow. I use shoe leather to fill out the back of bulbous handles and have used it for tip overlays. For the overlays I saturate the leather with super glue and sand smooth.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 06:38:45 pm »
A trapezoidal laminate handle would be perfect! Thank you Pat!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 06:50:15 pm »
You could add a lam or 2 on the back too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sulphur

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:13:34 pm »
how about a power lam.  a piece of wood 3 inches longer than your handle glued in between the back and the belly lam.  sand the ends till they are super thin so your glue lines will be good.  here is a link that will explain better.
http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/ipe1.htm

close to the bottom of the page.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:13:15 pm »
Thanks guys. Sulphur, that was actually what I was thiing of in the first place- thanks :).