Author Topic: quartz points pics....  (Read 6225 times)

Offline billy

quartz points pics....
« on: January 08, 2009, 12:24:00 pm »
Here's something you don't see everyday....some quartz points made by a modern knapper.  I know most people don't use this stuff since there is alot better stone available for knapping, but Archaic people here in my home state of Georgia used it a lot.  And since I'm a practicing primitive, I figured I better learn to make tools out of the same stuff the old guys used.  I made these from various quartz and quartzite that I've picked up over the years.  It's definitely a lot more difficult to chip than stuff like flint or obsidian or glass, but once you learn the technique it's really fun to knap because you're making tools out of some really crappy, tough stone and it's actually working!  Don't look down on this stuff though...flaked edges are pretty damn sharp, especially the white/clear quartz.  Besides, if this economy keeps going the way it is, being able to work tough, local stone like this might come in very handy sooner rather than later!  Hahaha...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:31:59 pm by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: quartz points pics....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:53:05 pm »
Nice work, Billy, and I know exactly how hard that stuff is to work. Quartz/quartzite is the only knappable thing we have up here, so I'm like you. I love working the stuff even if it is frustrating. Looks like you have about the same flavors down there that we have here, except it's really hard to find the clear/white streaked stuff here. I'd like to have a truckload of that.

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:32:06 pm »
Lots of good sized quartz up on lake Superiors shore, Most are smaller than a fist and rounded smooth from erosion.
Think these will work? Guess I need to get me a few bis ol clubs eh :)

Nice points billy.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

EndoftheWorldSurvivor

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:27:06 pm »
so billy has the same idea as me. economic collapse, only the ones with primitive skills flourish. sounds like an idea to me.lol

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 05:20:35 pm »
Hey Dana,

Not really sure if the quartz up your way will work...you'll just have to bust into some of it and see.  And yeah, I'm preparing for economic collapse...BIG TIME.  Just read that Obama is telling everyone to brace for some real, real bad times ahead.  Gas shortages, no food at the grocery store, nobody has money....sounds like the beginnings of all-out anarchy!  Put your goggles on folks, we're all gonna get flushed down the toilet with the turds! 

My mom is preparing too...she's buying guns and lots of ammo....and she just turned 70 the other day!  Hahaha..... 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 05:31:55 pm »
good job Billy. those should do the trick on a mastadon if you run across one  ;D ;) Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 08:20:02 pm »
thats some great chipping guys....i dont know if we have any sizeable quarts here in oregon...i think there is but where i dont know....this might be a new rock to look into for me...can the quartz be heat treated...thanks john

PeteDavis

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 09:18:47 pm »
Great, real stuff. Working my way up to ABO and quartzite. Good job!

Y'all need to stop talking collapse.....if it really does, remember to unload your weapons before entering soup kitchen.

PD

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 10:16:14 pm »
Dana, Paul (Ehkahk) gave me a chunk of killer waxy quartzite several years ago that he picked up somewhere around Lake Ontario. I'd love to get hold of some more of that.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bogman

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 12:21:35 am »
Those are some nice points posted; it's rough to work with.
We've got lots of quarts here in CT. You still have to look for it though.
As far as working with it...it's some tough stuff and mostly freeze fractured.
I have only gotten a couple of small points out of it.
Searcher of natures knowledge

EndoftheWorldSurvivor

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 02:49:02 am »
i havent seen alot of quartz here in AL. Tons of flint though. does quarts make good spearheads?

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 04:13:31 am »
Nice Work Billy..
 Hey I'd be willing to swap you some good T.N Chert for some of that clear/white streaked stuff.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 06:55:46 am »
Nice work Billy,  We have a bunch of quartz on the beaches around here.  At least that is what I think it is.  And your Mom isn't the only one stockpiling ammo. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 09:10:54 am »
Dana, Paul (Ehkahk) gave me a chunk of killer waxy quartzite several years ago that he picked up somewhere around Lake Ontario. I'd love to get hold of some more of that.

I will see what I can find this summer Steve, a bit nippy on the lakeshore right now ;) Also will be looking for some slag from the old pig iron factories.
Will let ya know if I find any good stuff :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 10:15:34 am »
can the quartz be heat treated...thanks john
Blacktail.. Quartz likes to blowup with heat :) and if ya get a piece to make it. i dont think it will change any.
Mililani Hawaii