Author Topic: Secondary feathers?????  (Read 3385 times)

Offline lowell

Secondary feathers?????
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:47:02 pm »
I haven't used turkey secondaries for a while and I may be overthinking it but.... when looking at the front of the left wing feather, should I use the left side or the right side or both.

And... do I use the left wing fletching jig for both or just the one side of the quill?  Seems they twist a different direction depending on which side I strip off?? ??? ???

Somebody tell me there are no stupid questions...just stupid answers. It will make me fell better!! :-[

Thanks Lowell
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Kegan

Re: Secondary feathers?????
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:59:47 pm »
I get two fletches from one feather- just carefully split it in half and use one side as a right wing, the other for a left wing. Just so they match the curve of the others.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:24:26 pm »
With the secondaries you get a left and a right on one feather. ;) You can use both but not on the same arrow. When you split them, separate the one side from the other. 2 arrows, one with left and one with right hand fletching, everything else the same, should fly very similar to each other.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 08:35:16 pm »
Thanks much Pat and Kegan.

That's what I was coming up with as I stared at them.  I have never tried to use both side before but may give it a try. 

Never a doubt in my mind that the question wouldn't be answered here!!   Great site!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 09:11:21 pm »
I like secondary feathers. It may be bacause I use so many of them. You get 2 for the price of one. Most of the time you will get them for free.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!