Author Topic: osage  (Read 6398 times)

Offline yazoo

osage
« on: January 05, 2009, 11:28:56 pm »
what is the best kind of osage thick ringed or this?
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline yazoo

Re: osage
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 11:30:37 pm »
should say thick ringed or thin? does it matter?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:56:12 pm »
me personaly i think the best kind of osage is "any i can get my hads on"
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 12:12:07 am »
me personaly i think the best kind of osage is "any i can get my hads on"

That's about right. ;D

Thick ringed is generally considered the better stuff. Though I had a piece of Hedge that was thin ringed but very dense, and it made two good bows (yes, I will squeeze two out of a 'normal' stave ;D).
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:19:37 am »
The bow I posted recently, Shere Kahn, has very thin rings; about 30 to the inch. I am working on 2 other bows now that have quite thick rings; about 4 or 5 to the inch. Both thin ringed and thick ringed osage will make very good bows. Any you can get your hands on is the best!  ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:36:12 am »
  Of all the osage bows I've made, it was the thinner ringed wood that made the best bows.  It seems that I get more set and a slower bow with the thick ringed stuff. But...That's just my opinion :)  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:41:05 am »
What Shanon said.I like thin. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline shamus

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 08:20:10 am »
The more important thing is the latewood-heartwood ratio, not necessarily thickness or thinness of the rings.

There has to be a clear demarcation between the latewood and earlywood. If you have that, then you have good osage. If a thick-ringed piece and a thin-ringed piece BOTH have good latewood/earlywood ratios, then I'd go with the thicker-ringed piece only because it would be easier to chase a ring on it.  I've chased thin rings but it's not very enjoyable. 

more thoughts of mine on chasingfrings: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/05/chasing-growth-rings.html

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:32:04 am »
There's no such thing as a bad piece of Osage...... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline yazoo

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 09:59:53 am »
I must admit I like them thick about one to the inch ;D

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:32:11 am »
I have used about every type of osage and find it falls in a bunch of different categories, dark, standard bright yellow color, very light with little difference between sapwood and heart wood color, extra wide ring, wide ring, 1/4-1/8th" rings, tight ring and rings so tight you can't separate different rings with the naked eye.

You have the rock hard osage also hard buttery stuff that is like slicing a green potato, no splintering. Next would be the hard osage that splinters and tears followed by grainy soft osage that has a very light physical weight when compared to the hard, dense osage.

Early wood, late wood ratios vary considerably with sharp thin late wood rings and late wood rings in other staves blurred, wide and seemingly bleeding into the early wood rings.

My favorite is the hard osage with paper thin late wood lines, 1/8th to 1/4" wood rings, buttery, bright yellow wood that doesn't splinter, that takes heat well  and doesn't return to it's former configuration after being corrected.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:43:56 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 10:33:23 am »
Made bows from thick and thin and have had both fail and succeed as bows. I don't really care either way, I just get busy and find the bow in the stave no matter the # of rings.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mobow

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 06:10:38 pm »
Would agree with everyone.  My favorite is anyone that I can chase the ring on.  keith

DCM

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 11:44:20 am »
I would only add that each stave is different, so you have to listen to the stave as you work it to optimize the design, generally in terms of limb width.

Pat B,

If by chance you have started to work on those crooked billets from year before last Tn Classic, use 10% more wood than you'd expect for good osage.  It was light density, but had the buttery quality Eric speaks of so makes pretty game bow wood.  Only reason I mention it is 4, 5 ring osage is fairly rare and I've only run across two such specimens including those.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 12:28:21 pm »
There's no such thing as a bad piece of Osage...... ;D
I'm afraid I have to disagree with that.  I haven't seen as much as most guys have but I have seen some pretty bad Osage. In fact, down right useless unless you are building knotty boat propellers.

If they are too thick you only get 2 growth rings in a bow and that is not good. IMHO I like to see at least 4 rings in a limb. I would rather have more rings than less.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah