Author Topic: Ok new bow and a new problem on my 2nd bow.  (Read 5270 times)

Offline seantOH

Ok new bow and a new problem on my 2nd bow.
« on: January 05, 2009, 11:50:31 am »
I have started a new BBO bow based on Dean Torges video.  The lower limb is 1.5" shorter than the upper limb and the overall length is 66" ntn.  Everything was going along fine until I braced at about 3".  I got it braced and then the string slipped/ twisted around the bow and the the bow was "unbraced" under tension.  What can cause this to happen?  How do I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

seantOH

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ok new bow and a new problem on my 2nd bow.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 11:56:21 am »
Starting off with that much reflex and being a R/D style bow the limbs are unstable and your string must be off to one side a bit. Try reducing the weight a bit more...and use a stringer to string it if you are not.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seantOH

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:32:10 pm »
Pat B,

Thanks for the quick response.  I will reduce the weight some more by tillering and using the long string.  I have left the nocks plenty wide so that they can be adjusted.  How do I determine if they need to be adjusted to get the string in the middle? I have been using a stringer but using the adjustable tiller string makes it a bit of a challenge keep the string in the middle.  Thanks and take care!

sean

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:10:47 pm »
With a R/D bow I made a little while back, I found that when stringing, I had to brace it pretty high or it was unstable like yours. Do more floor tillering before trying to string it again. I would so the same as Pat said, while keeping watch on any sign of twisting. If it wants to twist, remove a little more from the stiff side.

I like the name. ;D
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 01:18:51 pm »
You will need to brace it a bit higher.. I looks like when you braced it your string streched or Make sure your knot is not sliping past its self..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 01:38:58 pm »
The way I tell if the string is tracking is when I first brace the bow, but low...4" or so.  I've only made a few R/D bows and they are difficult for me to tiller. Getting a low brace will be difficult also with R/D.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seantOH

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 05:17:41 pm »
I put this BBO bow down about 11 months ago because it twisted when I low braced it at 3".  I have finally got around to trying to finish it.  I can low brace at 4" now without it twisting.  I am not sure what to do next with the tiller.  The lower limb is 1.5" shorter than the upper limb and it is 66" ntn.  Thanks for any advice you can give me!

seantOH

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 05:28:10 pm »
If it twisted when you braced it, before you put it away, it is still twisted but just not showing it yet.  Check the thickness of the limb from side to side along both entire limbs. Sounds like one side is slightly thicker than the other. Many times the twist will show up in the last 1/3 of the limb but not always.
  Which limb is the lower limb?

Offline Dano

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 05:54:16 pm »
It looks to me like the right limb is the lower limb, if so the upper limb need to bend a bunch more in the middle.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline seantOH

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 06:16:32 pm »
Thanks for the quick responses!  The lower limb is on the right as you look at the picture.  As I look at it, I think I need to remove wood between D and F on the left side.  Do you agree?  Thanks!

seantOH

Offline seantOH

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 02:04:19 pm »
OKay,  I have done some more work on the tiller of this bow since last night.  Please take a look at the picture and give me some feed back.  I am shooting for 55# at 24" draw and I am at 56# at 22".  The tiller looks a pretty good to me but I am an amature.  I still thing the left side (longer by 1.5") needs some work but I am not sure where to remove wood next.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 02:44:58 pm »
Everyone has said it all already, I'd just add you should modify your tiller rig so that the bow is supported at a single point, allowing it to pivot, it gives you a better picture of how it will flex in your hand.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 02:51:29 pm »
Your right limb, from point"B" to point "D" looks a little stiff to me.    Are you exercising it well between wood removals?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 02:59:41 pm »
With a R/D bow I made a little while back, I found that when stringing, I had to brace it pretty high or it was unstable like yours. Do more floor tillering before trying to string it again.
    Sean

You will need to brace it a bit higher.. I looks like when you braced it your string streched or Make sure your knot is not sliping past its self..

I agree..... I never brace a bow low if it has much reflex. I like full brace or no brace at all on those types of bows.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline seantOH

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 03:02:26 pm »
Thank you both for the response!

Del,

I can look at modifying my tree.

Patb,

Looking at it now, it does look like the right side, as I look at the picture, does not bend as smoothly as the left.  Does the left side tiller look good to you?

sean