Author Topic: proppeler twist at nocks  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Dave 55

proppeler twist at nocks
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:46:17 pm »
Top of the mornin to ya,I am working on a piece of hickory with a pretty good twist at the nocks,these would have to be steamed and straightened,right?

the moisture content is up at room content,thanks for any suggestions,Dave.
Now is the good old days

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: proppeler twist at nocks
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:09:25 pm »
No not necessarily. If it's not excessive say approaching 35 degrees or more it should be fine. Remember to check tiller from both sides. Check "Aerobow" on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:20:30 pm »
Thanks George appreciate it,
Now is the good old days

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:24:59 pm »
What George said. I rarely even think about twist anymore - it doesn't seem to hurt a thing.
Gordon

CutNShoot

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 01:55:18 pm »
I just the other day blew a bow up as a test bow because it had propeller twist.It went to 80lb at way over 28 inches before it went to pieces. Now in hind sight  I wish I had kept it. It started out straight and twisted as I tiller d it. Supposedly what caused it was uneven scraping ,one side of the limb thicker than the other. I tried to fix it but had little or no luck. I wish I had of piked it and lived with it or just narrowed it so it didn't really matter like a holmie. This bow was a flat saw board bow and I could just never figure it out. Fix one end the other end was out turn it around and fix it and the other end would be out.SHEEEEEEESH!

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 02:04:40 pm »
I made a bow with such a twist, but it didn't make any difference  when I shot it, infact it turned out to shoot like a centre shot , even though it has a bulbous handle, and it shootsh arrows spined way above what it should, if thats any help
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 03:48:00 pm »
cut, that's true. If the twist was caused by uneven wood removal than it should be fixed by even wood removal. Remove wood from the other side not the side that's twisting. The weak side twists. If the twist is natural I don't give it another thought. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 12:10:32 am »
Thanks guys I appreciate the info,Dave.
Now is the good old days