Author Topic: Persimmon Wood  (Read 15492 times)

Offline boo

Re: Persimmon Wood
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 03:54:17 pm »
at the very first mojam tim baker was talking about persimmon and how it was just like hickory, he had some bows he had done and was doing some test on them, the speed was awsome and they looked great i wouldnt hesitate to make a bow out of it.  boo
Boo

Minuteman

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 06:08:55 pm »
Thats alotta twist. :'(

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 03:21:34 am »
I know! :o It might even be worse than that, but I need to study the tree more. It has a twin trunk, but I had ignored the second because of more branches/knots.
It was this tree that brought me to this site though, so I figure I have already won! (I need to make an intro post)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 10:49:24 am »
I think twist just comes with the territory when you're dealing with persimmon wood. I split a pipe-straight log a while back that had no twist in the bark, and the staves still looked like Sopwith Camel propellers. You can usually heat it out if it's too much, a little twist doesn't hurt anything. Locust is the same way-I've cut probably hundreds of locust trees over the years for firewood, bow wood, fence posts, and all-but i don't think I've seen one yet without some twist in it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 12:55:59 pm »
For years I would check piles of locust rails around the feed-stores here, but never found anything to suit me. I'm not ready to intentionally tackle something like that.
If I cut the persimmon, it will be with the intention of splitting a pile of staves from it.
I can deal with whatever happens then.

Due to the tree's age and relationship to ebony, I'm hoping for a nice core of black heartwood.