Author Topic: I HATE HICKORY...But ( New Tillered pictures )  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: I HATE HICKORY...But ( New Tillered pictures )
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 10:38:43 pm »
Is the crack on the belly or back?
Gordon

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 12:33:19 am »
It's on the belly, about mid limb Gordon.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline benjamin

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 01:02:30 am »
I have a short hickory bow that cracked just like that on the belly at mid limb. I covered the crack lightly with super glue and It's still shooting. Really, hickory is as close to unbreakable as a material can get. And mine was due to over bending while heat treating too. Just keep shooting it.

Offline billy

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 03:12:02 am »
Dude, as long as the crack is on the belly it should be fine.  I was making a Comanche replica bow for my brother and I cracked the handle part on the belly when I tried to bend a reflex into the handle to achieve the gull-wing shape that a lot of the old plains bows had.  The crack was much bigger than the one on your bow and it still shoots fine after 6 years.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 08:07:10 am »
Looks great Shannon, ya done well :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 08:55:32 am »
yep, just shoot it up with super glue and shoot it and see what happens. As long as the belly doesn't start to collapse around the crack it should be OK. Almost looks like a fret you opened up some from heating and bending backwards. A lot of times you'll get a small fret around a knot on the belly side like that.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 10:17:43 am »
Looking at that tiller I do not understand why a fret happened in that  spot except for the presence of the knot. I think Ryan is correct about the knot being a possible reason for it. I try to tiller knotted areas so they appear flat. I tiller them so they bend less than the rest of the limb. I also try to leave the knotted area a little wider in that spot. I think if you did that you would have been ok there. Bows  don't have to always have straight lines tip to tip and they don't always have to look like fiberglass bows. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!