Author Topic: Help on Ironwood stave  (Read 2710 times)

whitewoodshunter

Help on Ironwood stave
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:46:59 pm »
Need some help one limb looks out of tiller but this limb has a kink in it that i could not get out with steam or dry heat.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Help on Ironwood stave
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 11:11:12 pm »
Well, not every bow can come out looking symmetrical. As long as the wood is equally stressed at brace and full draw, it may be a shooter.

I have quit spending time on real gnarly wood because I would rather shoot than show off a snakey bow.

It does look like you may effectively have a deflex in the one limb. Just have fun with it and learn.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 12:26:02 am »
What Jim said. Remember, also,  the brace picture don't mean nu'in. It's full draw that counts. Be sure to look at the tiller from both sides now. There's some buildalongs on my site that may help you. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 08:24:34 am »
Awesome stave love it ;D I've found that those kinks and whoop de dos are usually a denser wood than the rest of the stave so
they can be a challenge to get bending. Actually to me they are much harder to tiller than a snaky stave. How about a picture from both sides on the tiller tree?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:30:33 am »
Yeah, that's a nasty one to try to tiller through. I might try to reflex the rest of the limb a little to even it out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 08:11:41 pm »
Whitewood,how far along with the tiller are you? Can you show us a picture with the bow drawn,(as far as you've got tillered,not exceeding target weight) so we can see how it's bending? God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas