Author Topic: Help! More questions from a newbie.  (Read 3533 times)

Offline stickthrower

Help! More questions from a newbie.
« on: December 28, 2008, 10:33:19 pm »
Okay, so I am very new at this.

I want to get started, as it has been suggested by many that I "jump in and start making sawdust".

Here is my problem.  I don't have many tools that I think I need to make a bow.   ??? ???

So the question:  What is the one or two tools that I can use to make a bow that won't set me back a bundle.  I don't have a bandsaw, and can't really afford to get one right now.  I had been thinking about getting a draw knife.  Is that a good tool to start with?  I am also going to be getting some rasps and files.  But as you can see, I am lost as to what other tools I need to pick up. 

Currently, the only tools I have for woodworking are some carving tools, a jigsaw, several different sanders, and a scroll saw.

Can I use the jigsaw to cut out the shape of the bow?

I am hoping to start work on this after the new year so that I have time to work on it this winter, and then maybe start shooting it this spring.

Thanks for any help!

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline Hickoryswitch

Re: Help! More questions from a newbie.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:38:10 pm »
I've built several bows with drawknife and rasps. A scraper would also be a good investment. But I use my drawknife turned on edge as a scraper. You'll also need a chainsaw file to put in your string nocks.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:42:52 pm »
personnaly i would start with a rasp,chansaw file for nocks,ans some cheap scraper.i go to hardware store and buy wall paper scraper blades,they work well for me.

on your first several bows i wouldnt even think of power tools,i have only been doing this for a year,i have a bandsaw that i recently bought.i practiced on scrap wood with it before i tried to run a stave thru it and glad i did,they take a little getting used too.

i woould recomend that you use only hand tools untill you get the knack for tillering and have made a couple of bows first.that way you wont wreck good wood like you can with power tools.remember once the power tool has cut it you cant really put it back.atleast with hand tools you are working slow enough to catch your self before you mess up to bad.

good luckpost pics adn aske more questions as you go.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:44:02 pm »
 There are a lotta tools that will work. Starting out ya might be better off usin' hand tools. Ya have a sharp hachet and a sharp knife ? Thats all ya really need ta get started. Power tools are a great timesaver BUT ya really need lots of experience with the. Good luck..........bob

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:48:33 pm »
You can use a jig saw but if it aint orientated right it will tear the back of your bow on the up stroke....Drawknife is great(flea market,$10), Ferriers rasp(any hardware or agriculture store, $10-15) and a pocket knife or scraper(old scissors taken apart work great) and a chainsaw file for your nocks...there are several more things you can get but dont let anyone tell ya that you DO need them :D. Good luck...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 10:49:07 pm »
You can use a hatchet to rough out a bow - no need for a bandsaw. Then a rasp, scraper (or knife) and a rattail file for cutting nocks.
Gordon

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 10:49:39 pm »
Well...I type too slow,lol. What they said :D.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 11:20:43 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Badbill

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 01:10:52 am »
Some of the other things you will need later on. Ear plugs so you wont hear your wife screaming at you about the mess all those shavings are making. 2. A tool box to hold all those new tools, a tool box to hold all those new pieces of exotic hardwoods you are using for risers and tip overlays. A tool box to hold Leather, Feathers, broad heads, and a whole bunch of junk you'll hate digging through everytime you need something. 3. A new firepit to burn all those broken bows, unless you are using woods like Hickory, then a new smoker grill combo. 4. A German English dictionary to swear in another language so the neighbors will stop complaining. 5. A new high pixel digital camera so you can look good when you win Bow of the Month. 6. Siding for the garage when you realize you put the target next to it, and the arrows are going threw. Plus one or two other things I may have left out. ;D
Enjoy the addiction
Bill

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 07:12:30 am »
Amen! Youre right on the mark badbill. And a fella might even want another box for rock breaking stuff.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 05:43:54 pm »
 ;D ;D :D