Author Topic: stave moisture  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Dave 55

stave moisture
« on: December 29, 2008, 01:52:43 pm »
Guys I have kind of a dumb question but figured I would ask it anyway.When the stave gets stableized at room humidity can you rough the bow out and put it in the dryer or should the moisture be droped in the whole stave before you mess with it , thanks Dave 
Now is the good old days

Offline mitchman

Re: stave moisture
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:08:04 pm »
i just started a new bow i cut the tree down, split it the next day, roughed it three days later and let it dry for a week then brought it to final shape. its now dry enough to work on and i am starting tillering it now.   so yes you can.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 02:24:16 pm »
The closer you get the stave to final dimensions, the faster it'll dry. Careful you don't dry it too fast, it will check. I usually split my staves, seal the ends, and let them season with bark on (except osage) for about 6 months. Most of my staves are about 2" wide, and about 2" thick. If you use a hot box, you can get that down to about a month. 8-10% moisture content is perfect.

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:18:41 pm »
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it,Dave.
Now is the good old days

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »
If it has dried a little I would rough it out.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:07:10 pm »
You can rough it out now and even begin floor tillering to the point where the limbs are  barely bending. Then you an dry it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!