Author Topic: bow wood  (Read 2719 times)

Offline hunter12

bow wood
« on: December 28, 2008, 04:50:22 pm »
any body know if russian olive would make a good bow? i live in roosevelt utah and its every where out here . any info would b great thanks ???

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: bow wood
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 06:24:32 pm »
Lots of it here in MO.,but it is an invasive weed more or less. I would recommend  spending your time with a better choice of wood,boards or stave for my two cents.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline hunter12

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:53:33 pm »
thanks just wondering.what about birch or aspen?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:59:45 pm »
hunter   that aint right !!!  i live along the n platte river and we have so much of it   you d never belive it  iv cut a bunch of it  and gave a bunch away  what i do is look for the strightest long s ya can find id say about 12  round  cut them in 8 ft sections seal the ends i cut em in the fall  and  then in the spring i split em in half  wait till about oct the split em into staves de bark em  this stuff is hard as hell  and ill tell ya the truth i made a static recurve  based on one of marc st louis designs and that suckers fast as any bow i made   so dont let it stop ya russian olive make s a heck of a bow make it about like ya do a hikcory bow  brock  p s forgot to tell ya  make sure you spray some incestacide on it   somthime s the wroms are bad  in this   and youll see just how hard it is to split ever split elm ? well  good luck ha

Offline hunter12

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:56:45 pm »
thanks bcbull im gonna try it out . what part of north platte u around?boy i wish i was n 2 bow building when ilived in iowa and around omaha area thanks 4 tha info ;D

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 12:31:13 am »
im east of scottsbluff have some farm ground down there on the river but i live almost to cheynnen ha   ya know to be honest i had a bunch say the same thing to me it wont work  so i tryed it  and never have regerted it  go for it i think youll be suprised  brock

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 06:48:25 am »
Okay,now Im gonna have to give these weeds a try. One time tried it for arra shoots,but didnt work too good,and had been told by another bowyer it wasnt bow wood either.Hope it is bow wood,no shortage of it!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 11:20:17 am »
 Olive has a .91 SG.  However Russian olive is a different variety so not sure if the SG is the same.