Author Topic: Newbie wants to build a Mongol Bow  (Read 7835 times)

Lushie

Newbie wants to build a Mongol Bow
« on: January 02, 2009, 12:49:36 am »
I have an excess of time and sufficient spare cash to build a Mongol bow, if I could find instructions.
Can anyone point me towards "how to" resources?

Thank you,
Lushie

Yes, I know Mongol bows are considered a stretch stretch goal for a new bow maker.  But it wouldn't be fun if it were easy.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Newbie wants to build a Mongol Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 01:35:15 am »
                                                     Yep...If it was Easy.........Girl Scouts would be doing it!!!

Have you watched all of the Videos on Youtube about building them?? There are some really good ones there
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:43:22 am »
I would highly recommend you get the "How to Construct the Asiatic Compsite Bow" DVD, but Jffrey Schmidt and John McPherson. It is a great video. I also have the 2-volume "The Way of the Bow" video on making a Korean bow. I found it very tedious, but still some great information in there, but you have to sit though 4 hours of video.

I dont have it yet, but a new book came out by Adam Karpowicz on the Turkish bow, that may help too.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 01:01:33 pm »
 have you looked at the website,  atarn,( asian traditional archery network) , there is some good info and pics.
I'm in the process of making one myself, but it is a long term project, maybe I'll take some pics and post them
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......