Author Topic: twist in hickory stave  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Dave 55

twist in hickory stave
« on: December 30, 2008, 11:32:53 am »
I have the back of the stave cleaned up pretty good ,my question is it has a pretty good twist to the bottom limb starting near the grip do I need to steam it and take this out or if the nocks and grip line up leave it alone.I would like to post pics but dont have a clue how to do so,kind of techno challenged in that area,thanks Dave.
Now is the good old days

Offline DanaM

Re: twist in hickory stave
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 11:44:58 am »
I would try and use dry heat to remove as much as you can, make sure to grease the area up first
and try and go past what you need as the wood will bounce back somewhat. If you still have some
twist after that it won't hurt nothing but make sure and look at the tiller from both sides as it will look
different on each side. Pics aren't that tough to post but they do have to be 200kb or less set your camera
on the 640x480 setting and that should work fine.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:19:49 pm »
How many degrees of twist do you have? I don't usually worry about twist unless it's over 35 degrees or so. Check Aerobow out and compare it. Like Dana said you have to look at the tiller from both sides. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 01:21:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply guys,Dave.
Now is the good old days

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 07:59:13 pm »
Like Jawge said, a bit of twist won't hurt anything. If it's really bad, I clamp it to a caul and heat treat the belly, reflex it, and heat the twist out at the same time.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.