Author Topic: question on sealing  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Jesse

question on sealing
« on: December 26, 2008, 01:52:53 pm »
I just finished a bow for my 2 nephews for Christmas. Its all done and shooting but Im not sure about the durability of the finish. Its a hickory board and its painted with exterior gloss black and then a little artwork over that. I was wondering if the paint is good enough seal for hickory or if I could put spar urethane or something over the paint. Sorry not the most primitive question. :( You guys will have the answer though :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline FlintWalker

Re: question on sealing
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 02:27:04 pm »
I'd probably go over it with some fine steel wool and spray a few coats of poly on it just to be sure.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 02:30:24 pm »
Yes, I'd say you need to add a finish over the paint. With hickory, you need all the sealing you can get.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 02:31:06 pm »
 I agree with saw-filer, it would be best to put a few layers of poly-varnish over the paint, i've tried just paint and it tends to flake off, but not with varnish over it
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 02:59:47 pm »
Thats what I needed to hear. I wasnt sure if it would stick to the paint or make a mess.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 06:08:29 pm »
I've used spar urethane over paint on several bows-works fine. Especially with it being hickory, I'd seal the bejeezus out of it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.