Author Topic: Kipling-esk bow  (Read 13075 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Kipling-esk bow
« on: December 26, 2008, 01:38:16 pm »
This is my newest. Her name is "Shere Kahn" after the tiger in Kipling's Jungle Book. The backing is tiger striped tissue paper over deer rawhide with American Bison tip overlays.  She is osage, 62"t/t,
1 3/8" wide out most of the limbs until the last 10" and tapering to 3/8" tips and pulls 55#@26". The stave had very thin rings(18rings in the 1/2" thick tip) and a few knots and hoop tee dos so I backed it with rawhide for security. There are a few questionable knots on the belly that may give trouble later. We'll just have to see. I had to do a bit of heat straightening so I also induced some reflex and heat treated the belly. When unstrung she still holds about 1" of reflex. Hemp cord handle wrap set in Massey finish and a floppy rest top her off. This bow shoots very well!    Pat

ps. I'll get an unbraced pic soon.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

Re: Kipling-esk bow
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 01:51:20 pm »
 Love it Pat, Very nice bow. The tips are a perfect match for the pattern and a very fitting name as well. Tiller looks great and looks like a sweet shooter. You did good with all the knots and whoop tee dos. Congratulations ;)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 02:00:29 pm »
Great bow, I like the tissue paper, it adds some character to it. :)
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 02:06:30 pm »
Cool bow Pat. Very striking backing. Like the bison tips as well. You'll blend in nicely in the jungles of North America. 
And no tigers were harmed in the making ;D  You go after smaller cats right? :D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 02:09:31 pm »
Wait a minute are those cat fur silencers?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

huntersim

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 02:19:01 pm »
Hi Pat. Cool looking bow.
I was reading the adventures of Fred Bears last night.....the portion about his tiger hunt in India and he mentions that name. I thought....that would be a neat name for a bow :)

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 02:24:41 pm »
Looks great Pat. I bet it shoots good too.
I really like the look of that hemp cordage on the handle. 
 I'm just finishing up one I started at Pappys a while back and was wanting to use some hemp for the grip, but am unsure as to what to do about sealing it.  Would Tru Oil work?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 02:28:36 pm »
Thanks guys. This tissue paper is cool stuff. A bit difficult to work with as it is very thin and when it gets wet, from the glue, it has a tendency to tear. This is the same stuff I backed the bow I sent Koan last year for Christmas...his is leopard though.
   ...and Jesse, no cats were injured in the making of this bow...not even small ones. ;D  Some unfortunate sheep did loose his fleece years ago and the silencers were made from that.
   Shannon, I guess Tru-Oil would work OK. I used Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone) to seal it and it keeps it attached to the handle too as it will soak through. The hemp string comes from Wally World in the craft dept.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 02:39:20 pm »
Very nice bow.  Very good work!

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 02:55:53 pm »
Nice looking bow, nice decorations and the tiller looks good too. I would'nt mind to test it out! never tried shooting an osage bow.

I've always been too scared to make a bow with a knot in the working section like you have here, but it obviously can be done as you've shown. I'm gonna reconsider chucking out some old staves with knots now!! but, you dont reckon this is just because it's osage ?? can you get away with knots in other woods too??
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 03:14:48 pm »
Pat, whenever I see a new bow post from you it's like Christmas morning - I just can't wait to open it up and see what kind of present you have given us. As usual you did not disappoint - I just love it!
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 03:24:20 pm »
Thanks Gordon. Coming from you that is quite a compliment and I appreciate it very much. Ho HO HO!!!
   Dragonman, Knots usually are no problem for any wood if you deal with them properly. Try to center the knot on the limb. You don't want them on an edge if you can help it and if it is just leave extra wood around it if possible. I have made knotty bows from all kinds of wood. You have to take your time but these types of bows can teach you a lot. Pat

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 04:04:57 pm »
Pat, that's just a wonderful bow. Gordon has it right. Your bows are delightful surprises.
"This bow shoots very well!"
Of, course it does. You made it!
Well done.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 04:33:58 pm »
Thanks George.   

Offline cracker

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 05:22:16 pm »
Hi Pat
   Thats realy wild pun intended GRRRReat looking bow as always.
Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?