Author Topic: OK, CONVINCED to back w/linen and TB. Where do I get linen ASAP (not online) ?  (Read 4194 times)

Offline wakosama

I can order it on line, but not have it asap.  If I try a fabric store, what type of linen should I get?  Probably can't get the linen canvas advertised as bow backing.  So what instead?  I have some very thin old, tight weave linen drafting cloth, which washes up good, but not very heavy.  Maybe I can get burlap chair bottom strips in the craft store Friday. 

More ideas please gentlemen.

In the meantime I just hafted a knife, tomahawk and built a small tiller tree.

Merry Christmas

LUK

Oh, how do I do a text 'signature' please.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Linen is quite strong and when blended with the glue even thin linen will make a strong bow backing. Any cloth will work when set in glue but the thinner the better as long as it is strong enough...and linen is!  In a pinch go to a second hand store like Good Will or SAFE and look for a linen blouse or pants or even silk blouse or neck tie.   The drafting cloth sounds perfect for backing.     
   Nice knife and hawk.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

Cotton works great if you us tight, thin, strong stuff.

roofus

Fast food restaurant uniform pants material works. Heavy tight weave cotton I think.

Offline bcbull

iv got it at hobby lobby  and have seen it i at jo jan frabric s stores   brock

Offline NTProf

I got some on sale not long ago at JoAnn fabrics. Just make sure that it is pure linen.

Shooter_G22

what is linen,

wouldnt that be like a canvas or what about a bed sheet???   would a painters canvas drop cloth work???   i was looking at them the other day at home depot... i was thinking of gettting a big drop cloth to spread out on my living room carpet soo i could do some indoor knaping and not make a big mess with flint chips every where...   

but when i was looking at them the thought also accured in my mind about cutting the canvas into strips for a backing...  ???   would something like that work i wonder ???

what about silk sheets??? i have seen some like at garage sales but allways frowened at them becuase i always thought of what might be on them... :-\  lol...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Linen is made from the fibers of the flax plant. Raw flax fibers works for backing but almost any fabric will work when combined with the glue. The trick is getting a thin but strong fabric that will support the back of the bow without adding too much physical weight. Linen and silk are both thin but strong. Thin cotton will work. Thick cotton canvas will protect the bows back but it's physical weight would work against the performance and add to hand shock.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Try Joan Fabrics. I bought some there. The other possibility, in addition to silk, is burlap. See T Bow. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
As long as you are checking the fabric store, check the price on their silk fabric. Sometimes you can get an incredible deal on silk which is as light weight and strong as anything you can find.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline burn em up chuck

harbor frieght has waxed and unwaxed flax string. under 5 bucks. i got this info earlier this year from someone on this sight.
 thank you.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club