Author Topic: selfbow question?  (Read 9543 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: selfbow question?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 06:39:27 pm »
Looks outta place an like Pat said looks like a glass bow. Looks really stupid to my eye an besides ya dont need it imo....bob

What Bob said :). But as Ryano said- to each their own. I've no problem cutting one in for people who ask for them.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 10:22:37 pm »
I guess all my bows are ugly then..... ;)
Here's a few of my ugly arrow shelf bows...... :-X  ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 10:31:49 pm »
Here's a couple more. This should give you a idea what kind of thickness you can get away with.

Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 11:59:28 pm »
I cut shelves in my selfbows.  I build bows because I like to so I do whatever makes me happy.  ;D Sometimes I want to, sometimes I don't.  I have a few bows sitting with no finish and no grip because I didn't feel like anything at the time.  ;D ;D ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 07:18:29 am »
Oh my god Ryano, their absoulute abominations, how dare you post such disfigured bows :o ;) :D

As you can see bearbowman self bows come in many flavors and to me all are of them unique and beautiful :)

As for a cut in shelf not being safe for a beginner lots of my first bows had cut in shelfs and I never had one
break. And if one should break and clout ya upside the head well you will have learned a valuable lesson eh ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 11:24:41 am »
Yeah Ryan, those are downright hideous unspeakably unholy unclean things there- Better send them all to me so I can grind the shelves off..........;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008, 11:33:23 am »
Nice bunch of bows Ryan,I cut a shelf sometime and sometime I don't just depends on my mood at the time.I like
them on bow I plan on deer hunting with cause I leave it hanging and it is nice to have an arrow sitting on the string.
I don't think it make them pretty or ugly ,just what ever I feel like,I enjoy people liking my bows but really deep down don't care weather they like them or not as long as I do. I like to uses the twist in the wood if possible to help center shot one ,then glue on a leather shelf,but that ant always possible. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

AKAPK

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2008, 04:14:13 pm »
Yep The ugly ones are the dependible ones .Merry christmas Ryan

Offline artcher1

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2008, 06:50:10 pm »
Yep, pretty standard on my bows also. Nowhere near cut to center though. -ART B

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 10:32:56 pm »
Not a big fan of the cut in shelf on a self bow.  It just seems out of place to me. Although I am sure it would make a much simpler bow to shoot.  Proper arrow spine would be less critical because the arrow would have to bend around the handle much less.  I either glue on a small wedge shape to use as a shelf or just shoot off the finger.
Traverse City, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2008, 10:59:27 pm »
Beautiful, Ryan. Everyone,  I have my reasons for not making bows with cut ins.  They have nothing to do with appearance. My reasons would be silly to some but not to me. LOL. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 12:34:16 am »
The only disadvantage I can think of to cutting in a shelf would be the inability to shoot it upsidedown or change hands.  I usually shoot mine several times before cutting, just to make sure my mind is made up about which limb is gonna be the top and which one is gonna be the bottom.  I usually make this decision before the bow is even tillered, but sometimes you're thrown a curveball and need to change things.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 08:05:09 pm »
Beautiful, Ryan. Everyone,  I have my reasons for not making bows with cut ins.  They have nothing to do with appearance. My reasons would be silly to some but not to me. LOL. :) Jawge

I'm pretty sure "because it's ugly" is a sillier reason than yours Jawge :).

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 08:44:32 pm »
  My first couple a bows had a shelf and they worked Ok. The last few do not. I like em both ways. Kinda depends on how the bow turns out fer me.
  I must admit I feel that no cut in shelf is much more pleasin to the eye. Plus I feel it causes you to pay more attention to the spine of your arrow fer proper performance.  Somethin, way too many archers seem to ignore. I think a center shot shelf may be part of the culprit there. Takin away the archer's paradox, takes away from the full experience. At least fer me.

TheWildCat
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline Kegan

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2008, 08:53:51 pm »
  My first couple a bows had a shelf and they worked Ok. The last few do not. I like em both ways. Kinda depends on how the bow turns out fer me.
  I must admit I feel that no cut in shelf is much more pleasin to the eye. Plus I feel it causes you to pay more attention to the spine of your arrow fer proper performance.  Somethin, way too many archers seem to ignore. I think a center shot shelf may be part of the culprit there. Takin away the archer's paradox, takes away from the full experience. At least fer me.

TheWildCat

The paradox is still there, just not as radical as wide handles.