Author Topic: selfbow question?  (Read 9538 times)

bearbowman

selfbow question?
« on: December 24, 2008, 12:02:44 pm »
I'm not speaking of a particular wood species. this is purely a general question.

How do you feel about cutting in a shelf?

would you recommend it?

is it possible without affecting the integrity of the bow?

Bob

Offline DanaM

Re: selfbow question?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 12:14:37 pm »
Lots of guys do it, don't hurt a thing but you have to make sure there is enough wood in the handle.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 12:26:30 pm »
Lots do it but I don't. There is a chance that if the handle area bends at all the cut in area could split. Adding an arrow rest(I like a floppy or off the hand) makes more since to me...but that's just me. There is no reason to do it and in my opinion it is way more work...and I like a self bow to look like a self bow and not a glass lam bow.         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 01:12:05 pm »
Looks outta place an like Pat said looks like a glass bow. Looks really stupid to my eye an besides ya dont need it imo....bob

bearbowman

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:32:10 pm »
I'm getting ready to start my first bow. i'm trying to ask as many questions as possible.

I figure I won't know if I don't ask.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 01:37:37 pm »
We like questions and folks that ask. How else can you learn.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:43:27 pm »
   I used to cut shelves in all my bows simply because I didn't know any better. I still cut them in boo backed laminated bows if they have a riser but with self bow style handles I no longer use them, I do slighlty narrow the arrow pass area. Steve

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 02:25:51 pm »
I think they are dangerous for beginners. You must make sure the handle area does not bend at all or it's Rice Crispies time. I don't do it because I don't want to.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 03:39:27 pm »
It's possible, but to be honest I hate a cut-in shelf on a selfbow, for all the reasons already mentioned. I often add a small leather rest.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 03:46:10 pm »
Well, I must be the only one..... ::) I always cut in a shelf if the bow design/wood allows for it. There is no reason it will break any easier than a laminated bow as long as you leave it thick enough not to bend. I've made probally a couple hundred selfbows with arrow shelves and I've never had one brake yet.  I actually prefer the way it looks as well as shoots......To each their own I guess.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 04:07:30 pm »
I was waiting for ya to chime in ryano ;) :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »
What Ryan said...minus about 175 bows. ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 04:21:12 pm »
I have done a couple just because I dont have that many different spined arrows and more center shot helps with that...But I do prefer to shoot off the knuckle or leather and I mostly like my little bendy handle bows and a cut in shelf is a no no there. Cant hardly beat the comfort of a bulbous handle with a floppy rest, thanks Pat ;)
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 04:26:24 pm »
Brian, You will have to thank Dean Torges for the bulbous handle idea and Mickey Lotz for the floppy. All I did was use their ideas(plagiarize) ;D

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 04:51:13 pm »
I very rarely cut in an arrow shelf on a selfbow. I don't think it's necessary, and I also don't like the way it looks. For a beginner, I don't believe it's a good idea.