Author Topic: Have wood and glue and tentative plan. Comment please...  (Read 3498 times)

Offline wakosama

Have wood and glue and tentative plan. Comment please...
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:59:22 pm »
Got some System 3 epoxy.  This is my wood.  Per BB4 it has straight growth rings running the length of the boards.  The light wood is ash, 1 7/8"w X 38" X 3/8"  billets already Z splice cut.  The dark wood came from the Red Cedar stack 4.5" X 3/4" X 7ft of useful length and width.  See end grain picture. 

1.  Ash pyramid flat bows.  Not sure if I need to back it.  Linen, hickory, bamboo?
2.  Cedar long bows, maybe pyramid flat bow.  Back it?  Fabric or hickory?

Guidance for bow design and build please.  Planning very slender tips with overlays and maybe tie on nocks for pyramid bows.  Have horn and other hardwoods, also bone.  All suggestions or comments welcome.

Thanks.
Tom

[attachment deleted by admin]
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Have wood and glue and tentative plan. Comment please...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 12:39:23 am »
I would back them both with linen.  To do this it would be easier if you use the epoxy to splice the billets and get some Titebond to apply the fabric. I know I am adding to your material list, but you can get a small bottle of Titebond for just a couple of bucks.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline wakosama

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 12:45:01 am »
Thanks.  I've got some Tightbond.  And why use it instead of the epoxy.  And would you thin it for better saturation, or maybe use several coats...  how would you do it please.

Thanks
Tom

LUK

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 01:36:02 am »
Epoxy would be overkill for applying a fabric backing, not to mention it would be expensive and very messy.
Gordon

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:41:48 am »
Gordons right about the epoxy. Titebond is kinda the standard for glueing on backings such as silk, linen, rawhide etc. It works and works well ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 10:35:54 am »
If your cedar is western red cedar I would be leery of it. I know some have made bows from it but I believe it is a marginal bow wood. 
   Tite-Bond is a very good wood glue as well as good for cloth backings. I have used it for handle splices and wood backings and never had a glue failure.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:18:05 pm »
No need to thin the TB for backing with fabric.  Here is a little info on doing it. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,8526.0.html
Also Gordon walks you through it step by step in his build along.  It is about half way down the page. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.msg66216.html#msg66216
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline wakosama

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 08:25:38 pm »
Thanks everyone... just posted new on linen source

Merry Christmas.

I'll post pictures as I build.

LUK