Author Topic: black cherry bow  (Read 12136 times)

Offline cuthalion

black cherry bow
« on: December 22, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »
hey
so ive jsut made a pretty nice self black cherry recurve bow. I was wondering how many people have made a black cherry bow
and how much success have they had with it
also....this is a little off topic...but what do most people use to oil there bow?
instead of oiling is varnish suitable?
thanks
carson

Offline DanaM

Re: black cherry bow
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:57:56 pm »
I've made several BC bows one actually didn't break :) The one that survived did develope many frets
which tells me I didn't have enough limb working. It is beautiful wood and very light in the hand. As for finish
I usually use Tru-Oil, but many things will work, shellac, spar urethane, varnish, poly, plain old parriffin wax,
animal fat like bear grease and so on. No finish is completely water proof but some are better than others.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cuthalion

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:43:30 pm »
hey thanks alot
appreciate it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 03:00:30 pm »
I've seen a couple nice cherry selfbows, and a couple nice hickory-backed cherry bows over the years. If you get one to hold together, it makes a nice bow. Tim Baker likes cherry, but most of the cherry bow stories seem to sound like: "man, I had me a nice one going, but then it kersploded" or "......then it chrysaled all over." I have a cherry board that I'm gonna subject to a hickory backing and try to kersplode or chrysal one of these days. :) It sure is nice looking wood, and easy to work. Like Dana said, there are a lot of different finishes that work well. I like Tru-oil, Helmsman spar urathane, or bear grease. How about some pics of the cherry bow?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 03:08:24 pm »
Dont forget good ol'fashioned beeswax. Quickly becoming my favorite, just hand rub it in and then put lotion on the blisters,lol. Someone did some testing awhile back and found it to be the most water resistant of all the finishes, old and new....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:15:04 pm »
Brian, I think parrafin wax was actually the one that got all the kudos in the tests, but beeswax is good too, just kinda sticky. That makes interesting natural camo, though, when you get leaves, dirt, twigs, bugs, spiders, squirrels and such adhered to your bow. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 03:25:21 pm »
You might be right and I like that there are bees wings and such in my finish,lol. I cant remember where I read about that...think maybe it was Badger or Marc???...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:49:05 pm »
How about a few tiny flakes of flint thrown in with the bees wings for good measure? Not out of the question with you knappers bustin' rocks and schrapnel flying around. ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 04:51:07 pm »
Ouch my I....Brian

Offline NTProf

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 09:22:47 pm »
I have only been making bows for about a year, but I made a hickory backed black cherry bow. After a few hundred shots it is still going strong. A couple very small crysals (you have to look close to see them) emerged right when I first started shooting it. But after a few hundred shots they have not gotten any larger. By the sounds of things, though, I should probably stop while I am ahead.

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 10:00:53 pm »
guys don't tell me that I just gotta big cherry split. :( I use tru-oil then poly on top. Seems to work real well.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 11:58:19 pm »
Got any pictures of your new bow?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 12:27:25 am »
I've made 3 hickory backed cherry bows, all with good success. They were all of a wide flatbow design, and they were all light #, 30-40#. No frets, no kaboomski. I like cherry.

Offline cuthalion

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 12:43:52 am »
^yah..my bow is in and around that range....i like it....the finish is amazing...and i should have some pics up by tommorow

Minuteman

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 01:20:48 pm »
Its 2 morrow! We're waiting ;D........