Author Topic: Belly Wood/Backin Wood!!!  (Read 1973 times)

Offline TheWildCat

Belly Wood/Backin Wood!!!
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:51:23 am »
   Hey Y'all. I know Hickry & Bamboo seem to be the most popular Backin woods, but there dosen't seem be a most popular fer belly woods. I know some woods resist compression more than others and vise-versa. Is there a definitive list out there to go by?

I jus cut about 2" of white wood offin a Walnut stave, and would like to make a bow from it, but figure I better put some Belly wood on it, ifin it was to make a decent bow. Don't spect it to be my go-to bow, jus a different bow fer my collection. Any Sa-Jest-yuns!!!

TheWildCat
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Belly Wood/Backin Wood!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 10:59:11 am »
Osage, ipe, yew, and hickory are some of the better common belly woods, but everyone has their own preferences sometimes. It depends on what you're backing it with-matching the backing to the belly wood so that the back doesn't overpower the belly is probably more important than what woods you use. That 2" of walnut sapwood should  make a good selfbow by itself. I have seen several good walnut bows made from sapwood, heartwood, or a combination of the two. Walnut heartwood in board form is often backed with hickory, ash, or something similar.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TheWildCat

Re: Belly Wood/Backin Wood!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 08:23:29 pm »
Thanks Hillbilly. Your the second person to tell me that this Walnut Sapwood would make a good bow. I have one laid out on it. Believe I will proceed with it and see what comes out. It sure seemed soft when I cut it, but I was comparin it to the Dark Walnut Heart wood. I have never steam bent any wood, but thought that I might give it a try to give the ends a little more.
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat