Author Topic: Bone Broadhead  (Read 15401 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Bone Broadhead
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 01:44:31 pm »

Kayakfisher;
     I would go with the leg bone, you can make it a diamond cross section, and like Mullet said, make little serrations, and alternate the sharp angles of the bone. (bevels) Cooking doesn't affect it.  I have used raw bone that I have gotten off an old dairy, that came from dead cows, and I have used cooked bones, from soup bones, and bones from pet stores.  I have yet to see any difference in strength or working ability.  Like it was said, they won't be as sharp as stone, but you should be able to get a decent cutting edge, by serration, with the down, up type of angles on the serration edges.  IN other words, one edge will be angled down, the next will be angled up, etc.  You can vary the angles, from the front to back, and on the back edges, you can vary the angles from back to front, like those little rectangular pink erasers, that have one end beveled up, and the end beveled down.  That way, it will cut on entrance, and exit, and when being moved by the animal, and arrow hitting objects.
It is like copper vs. steel.  The copper is just too soft, to be as good a cutting instrument, as steel, and stone is harder than steel, and will give a superior edge.  But in a survival situation, I would use whatever I could.  Don't bother using pork bones.  They are brittle, and crumbly.  Beef, deer, elk, antelope, buffalo, giraffe, etc.  Just about any animal with a thick bone will work, except for porkers.  Antelope are supposed to have the strongest leg bones going.

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 01:49:49 pm »
aw crap!  I just threw out 16 antelope legs!  Wait, the dog got one. 

Here, Scully, here girl...c'mere ya fleabag...NO! I didn't mean that, sweetie!  Here girl!

I'm gonna check the bone pile and see if the 'yotes left any. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 02:35:18 pm »
Deer leg bones are about the best you can use.  The bones are extremely hard and will dull a meat saw pretty quick.  Much harder than Beef.  I would imagine that Antelope would be the same.  Moose also have very hard bones but not quite as hard as Deer
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 09:04:58 pm »
 marc st lous, thats some good info, that just prooves how much of an animal you can use. my dog shredded up a bone from the pet store a few days back, maybe that will work  ;D definetly not broadheads though, more like feild tips or something
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 11:05:04 pm »

You can make some nice feild points, or bullet style points from bone.  Just get the thickest piece you can, and square it up a bit, and file the corners off, and keep doing that, like making an arrow from stock wood, and then chuck it in a drill, and put a file to it, then a piece of sand paper, and you can polish it up to a very nice shine, and cut it to size, or use the file, to make a round shaft, to put in cane arrows, or put a flat shaft to put into a slot in your wood arrow, and glue, and or tie it.  Very light though, if you want to simulate an arrow head, you can add some weight to it.  Also make some nice nocks, for your arrows.  Tooth picks, jewelry, etc.

Wayne

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 11:38:07 pm »
 nocks are a good idea, theres a guy who used an antler for a nock, but i thought that might be a little overkill- a bone's a bone, but an antler.. .why not a knife handle, or overlay- but it looked great nonetheless.
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline BryanB

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 08:04:58 pm »
I use the front leg bones from elk.
There are several flat areas on these bones and are usually 1/4+ thick.
These are very strong and dense bones.
Good Luck,
Bryan

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 10:29:34 pm »
Ostrich leg bone will make some nice strong points as well. I don't think I've seen a bone that was thicker versus it's size.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 09:50:54 am »
Bryan, that does look dangerous! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 10:27:44 am »